Fall out with family members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I actively keep in touch with the family members I like, but being grumpy Yorkshire folk we don't do hugs and chat.

Apart from my M+D there are only a handful left.... being an only child helps!

MrsA_T tends to be closer to her lot but her lot have always been a much tighter bunch.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have not seen my mum in 20 odd years since she left my dad and I don't have a lot to do with my dad and can see why my mum left him as he is a complete arse. You can't pick your family.

I get on better with my wife's family.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have one brother that I don't get on with. I don't ignore him at family gatherings, but I will not go out of my way to visit him or his family. It is a shame but I have got to a point in my life when I do not need to be treated with a total lack of respect. In my twenties even thirties I could handle it it but now my priorities are my kids and wife and any relationship that detracts from that in my life are not worth maintaining. It may be in the future if things change but not now.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I miss my 21 year son. I last saw him for just 30 minutes three years ago at my Mothers funeral. Zero contact since. Prior to that it had been about three years during which we had three or four hourly visits arranged by his Mum. He now blanks my e mails and texts etc. It hurts more than I can say. One day I hope he will pick up the phone or show up maybe. I tried, I really did. I won't ever give up on him, but it's his choice to cut all contact. I respect his choice now as an adult in his own right, and until he feels differently, I have no choice but to take the pain every hour, and carry on with my own new life. My door is always open to him and those in his world, always will be no matter what. I think he is still at University in London but he may have moved to Germany by now. I have no idea. I live each day not knowing if I will ever see my only son again. I blank it as much as I can, mostly on a bike, because I cannot deal with that thought. Perhaps one day he will want to find out who I am now, and we can chat as friends, grown men, and accept each other for who we are, Father and Son, no matter what why or whatever. I hope so with all of my heart.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I never got on with my brother since we became teenagers. I've seen him twice in the thirteen years since I moved to Wales, both funerals including our mothers. It doesn't bother me, as said you can't choose your family. A branch of Mrs Smokin Joe's family hate me almost as much as I hate them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got a sister who is a right pain and now she doesn't speak to me I'm actually quite pleased about it. At least I don't have to watch that I don't 'upset' her by telling her any more 'things will get better' or 'you'll find someone decent' lies any more cos its actually her who has been the problem in most of her relationships.
I should say that she's the youngest and for years tried to drive a wedge between me and my other sister but her latest exploits left no-one in any doubt as to who caused all the trouble and that her 'all men are ba$tards' attitude is not on and the lies about me she'd fed Mandy (the middle one) were just that.

mustang1

Legendary Member
It seems like I never have any quarrel with anyone. I don't have any expectations of anyone and so there's no reason for me to get annoyed when those expectations are not met.
That's when people have a fallout, because they have an expectation. Get rid of your expectation, your ego, and your problems will be reduced.
I see family members (and friends) having problems with each other. Its usually a "they didn't do such as such so I won't talk to them" yet delving deeper the problem originally started with the accuser but they're too dopey to realIze!
The worst one is when the wife has a quarrel with her cousin and she expects me to break all ties with the guys, who are all just mates.

Humans and their egos, pah.

jhawk

Veteran
I miss my 21 year son. I last saw him for just 30 minutes three years ago at my Mothers funeral. Zero contact since. Prior to that it had been about three years during which we had three or four hourly visits arranged by his Mum. He now blanks my e mails and texts etc. It hurts more than I can say. One day I hope he will pick up the phone or show up maybe. I tried, I really did. I won't ever give up on him, but it's his choice to cut all contact. I respect his choice now as an adult in his own right, and until he feels differently, I have no choice but to take the pain every hour, and carry on with my own new life. My door is always open to him and those in his world, always will be no matter what. I think he is still at University in London but he may have moved to Germany by now. I have no idea. I live each day not knowing if I will ever see my only son again. I blank it as much as I can, mostly on a bike, because I cannot deal with that thought. Perhaps one day he will want to find out who I am now, and we can chat as friends, grown men, and accept each other for who we are, Father and Son, no matter what why or whatever. I hope so with all of my heart.

Blimey... I'm sure he'll come knocking sometime soon mate. Divorces/separations are messy. I've been there. Not pleasant at all.

Chin up. :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
I remember talking to a guy at work about how I've not seen my dad for nearly thirty years after he ran off with another woman. At first he came back a few times but then the visits stopped, I wasn't too close to him so it's never really bothered me.

When I mentioned I didn't care if I never saw him again my mate told a story similar to yours, how he'd not seen his teenage son as his ex had poisoned him against his dad, something my mam never did with me.

I asked if that was the case did he ever turn up at school and try to speak to him alone, not something my dad ever tried, but it seems it had gone too far for that to work.

Hopefully you'll be more successful than either me or my mate BOAB.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was completely estranged from my elder sister for many years, from my late teens until I was in my fifties. Not proud of it but it had to be done for my own well-being. The Aged P's ill-health, last year, meant we got back in touch. I am not sure it was a wise idea but sometimes you just have to do the right thing.

Top Bottom