False MTB'ing ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tradesecrets

For me it is not cycling round man made trails litter'd with jumps .. to me that is nothing more than a jazzed up bmx course pretending to offer a genuine MTB experience ie Glentress and other such locations ,

All they offer is just a false experience ,, Yet those folks that spend insane cash on there bikes are easy duped by the marketing etc to go to those places

classic33

Leg End Member
And for some it'll be the only access to off-road routes, on private land, they'll have.

Jimidh

Veteran
As a regular Glentress user I would say you are talking complete mince.

There is great single track there where you can experience a great variety of surfaces from lovely smooth bermy runs , great drops offs , knarly root sections and rocky runs.

They are also fantastic for starting your kids there as they have fun green runs. My lad started on these and is now way faster downhill than I am.

I am lucky enough to live at the foot of the Pentlands so I also ride there and in the woods round where I live and I don’t think that riding there is any more “real MTBing” than GT or Innerleithen.

Sharky

Guru
.... and some will even pretend to climb Alpe d'Huez and other great climbs, and never venture outside their garage. Can't be a more false experience than this, but I suspect one or two on this forum get loads of enjoyment from it.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If you don't like it, don't do it. Other people do like it, and they're not doing you any harm, so let them get on with it.

People needlessly sticking their noses into other people's business seems very much a 21st century hobby.

You should try owning a puppy. Suddenly every long nosed tonsil you walk past becomes a reincarnation of Cesar Millan.

Levo-Lon

Guru
i like spam

What is 'proper' MTB'ing then ?

I bought my rather expensive Stumpjumper for the initial purpose of one singular achievement, to cycle up and down Snowdon (which I achieved at the beginning of April this year), the rest of the time that I use it is for rattling around the Fens, which are as flat as a witches tit............no mountains here.

Can you compile a list of 'proper' routes so I don't get classed as a plastic

Well just for a laugh I went up Whinlatter yesterday, cycled right as high as I could go and then came down the Mtb trails, I can say for certain that my Mtb was not up to the task, some of it was extremely scary, I can see why it’s liked though, I only fell of twice, fortunately I didn’t break anything,
It’s not something I would do regularly, too hard on the old body.

Top Bottom