Famous/semi famous people you know/knew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Look North presenter Harry Gration was my form teacher and taught me O level History.

When I lived in Old Trafford and shopped in Salford Sainsbury's on the way home, I often saw Corrie actors. I was behind Audrey at the till once when she bought little bags of carrots and a huge bottle of gin. 'Quiet night in', I thought. You often saw Martin Platt and Curly Watts at gigs in Manchester in the 80/90's.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I knew Martin Roberts (BBC morning telly) before he really got into that home refurb programme - can't believe it's been going that long. It's a minor morning BBC programme I believe.... I worked with his first wife, and we all went for dinner at their home locally to me. I knew he had just started out in TV, and we had seen him doing the 'home refurb' programme. Anyway, they aren't together anymore. This was about 25-30 years ago - he hasn't changed much other than weight and less hair. His first wife was lovely (my colleague) so it was a bit of a shock to know they separated when they did...

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know the lead singer of The Fortunes pretty well. He lives next door to my late mother in laws house, which now belongs to my niece.
Lovely chap, always recognises me, remembers my name and has time for a chat. Last time I saw him was at my sister in laws funeral in June.
Ahh....thier big hit record.... You've got your troubles, I've got mine. I bought that record and loaned it to 'the love of my life'.
She packed me in the week after and I never got the record back.:sad:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I found out just recently my wife met Jesse Owens when she was a little kid, which I thought was pretty impressive. One of my friends says Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden had a go at him at a concert.

I haven't had any brushes with famous people unless you count Paul Daniels in a hotel lift in the mid 1980s in Bristol. And even then it was only after a couple of hours I realized who he was (I knew he looked familiar!).

Oh and I just remembered I was behind the lead singer of the Counting Crows at LAX airport once. Didn't help me though as I only knew who he was by some girl excitedly asking if I knew I was standing behind him. To be honest, I just said "oh, great" as I really couldn't have cared less -and I could tell the girl was annoyed by my apathy!

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I stood behind Bruce Rioch (footballer) in an off licence once. His parents lived locally in Luton and he used to play for them before moving on to bigger and better things.
Oh... and I saw the late Roy Kinnear loading his luggage into a car at Luton Airport about a year before he died.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Wasn't that who Ritchie & Eddie lusted after, amongst others, in 'Bottom'?

Vicki Butler-Henderson
With that squeaky little laugh:wub:

I have a dodgy memory for someone in their 40s but I think it was the newsreader Sue Carpenter that Eddie and Ritchie were keen on. As for VBH, certainly a crush of mine.

I have a dodgy memory for someone in their 40s but I think it was the newsreader Sue Carpenter that Eddie and Ritchie were keen on. As for VBH, certainly a crush of mine.

My mistake, yes it was, & that's despite my still watching it, when it's on one of the Virgin channels

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWv8GkNQ2lQ

And, I'm not going to mention the (in)famous V B-H test of the TVR T350, in the cold:angel:
Damn... I have

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a summer job working for the parents of Chris Rea. He always says, in interviews, that they were restaurateurs, actually they ran a number of burger bars on Teesside. He worked along side me for a few weeks, and proved to be a royal PITA! A prize comment was that papa would never allow unions in the firm. This to a joking comment about working conditions. The Rea family spent huge amounts of money trying to set up his sister in clothing retail, and even more getting Chris into the music business, eventually sending him to California, which suited me.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If anyone remembers the now defunct post-punk punksters Doctor & the Crippens (famed for their exploding cabbages)... i know several members. One now makes school dinners, one makes jewellery and one is a school caretaker.
...and since that post, they've reformed as The Crippens (minus the doctor, who's still making jewellery) ...the school staff play lead guitar and drums and another old friend is now on vocals :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I knew the late Kenny MacIntyre who became a well know political correspondent. Known for hiding in a cupboard and ambushing Margaret Thatcher who gave him an interview for his cheek. I knew him before he became famous and was only infamous.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I don't believe I know anyone famous or even marginally famous.

I have met two famous people. One I wanted to meet, the other I was told by my father to stand with for a photo.

The first was Sir Terry Pratchett as he signed two of his books for me (Mort (in graphic novel format) and Guards! Guards? for those interested) . I was a teenager, he a literary god. It took everything I had to say 'Hello...' and then I nearly forgot my name when he asked!

The second was Brian Clough then manager of Nottingham Forest (I think). Not sure how old I was, under 10 possibly? And he was in the airport. He shook hands with my father and had a photo taken with me. Unfortunately, the importance my father placed (and still places) on the event is lost on me. I can't stand football.

Top Bottom