Famous/semi famous people you know/knew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The son of our old Minister* at the church we used to go to (Church of Scotland) went into acting, and has had a few small parts in things like Taggart and so on.

Also, the Minister of our previous church was a bit ambitious and became head (or certainly high up anyway) of the General Assembly.

The Minister of our church before THAT, appeared on the telly many years later on one of these 'Who do you think you are?' type of things.

Turned out he was Jewish but had been adopted.....

We don't go to Church now, the excitement is too much!

* - Before being taken over by an ex Haemotologist who openly claimed that he had never learned how to ride a bike :wacko:

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I once saw Brian May at City airport at ridiculously early in the morning.
He looked rather grumpy. As did I. It was stupid early.

And I've had a drink in Ken Folletts back garden. Which sounds like a dodgy euphemism, but isn't.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Good friends with Nick Cave's sister and once pushed in front of Paula Yates at a Reading University bar when the Boomtown Rats were playing (they were rubbish)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
A cousin of my mother is golfer and Mrs Doubtfire-lookalike, Colin Montgomery. Not sure exactly what cousin, but not first. I've worked with a fair few people in the human rights field who are well known, and due to my involvment in green activism in Oxford in the 90s, I know quite a few people who are now more famous in that area, notably George Monbiot and Caroline Lucas. My housemates and their friends at the time were all musicians in a whole range of bands either forgotten or still going, including Radiohead, Supergrass and Portishead. All of the famous ones were friends of friends so it wasn't as if I was hanging out all the time with Thom Yorke or anything like that. These days, I know a few writers and musicians who are moderately well-known in Canada, which means practically unknown anywhere else!

GM

Legendary Member
David Beckham was behind me at airport security and thousands of people were waiting for a glimpse. Without speaking he kind of indicated, with a wink, that I should go first. The noise as I exited sort of went "wwwwaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa.... Oh". He pulled his beenie hat over his brow and a scarf over his face and sneaked out behind me.

We were in a fish & Chip place in Ongar Essex, I went to the loo for a tiddle when David Beckham came hobbling in on crutches (when he had a broken leg) and stood next to me. I was too embarrassed to ask if he needed a hand :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I met Ed Clancy before a road race in Durham City.

He told me he was 'rubbish' at that particular discipline.

He only had two Olympic golds at the time, but I still felt compelled to point out that for him and cycling, 'rubbish' is a relative term.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
We were in a fish & Chip place in Ongar Essex, I went to the loo for a tiddle when David Beckham came hobbling in on crutches (when he had a broken leg) and stood next to me. I was too embarrassed to ask if he needed a hand :whistle:

Ah, but was he really 'Golden Balls' as people claim? :laugh:

Reactions: GM

PaulB

Legendary Member
David Washington the then Home Secretary was a regular visiter. Dennis Taylor when World Snooker Champ

You mean Waddington, don't you? I was once accosted by him while I was running past his (opulent) house as the main path was flooded so I went a bit off route so was on his land but when I pointed out my reasons, he was fine with me and wished me well before telling me I should descend the same way I was going up.

And at the 21st birthday party of a girl we worked with, Dennis Taylor was in attendance because she'd babysat for his kids while she was a teenager.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was once accosted by Tommy Sheridan who was campaigning in the street who asked me if I was with The News of the World, just because I had a camera and was taking a few snaps of him.

Even if I had been, I have a sneaking suspicion, I would have said 'no' :whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom