Fans of odd/world/obscure music - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've been given something like 500gb of MP3s by some friends. I now face the daunting task of making a selection to put on one of the MP3 players I actually listen to. But where to start?!

Music A-Z 1.jpg

See what I mean? And that's just the As & Bs. I have eight screen-grab jpgs like this. I'll happily upload more if anything comes of this, but I reckon this is enough to test the waters.

So - you lovers of the obscure, the foreign, the downright weird - any suggestions? (Avoiding, needless to say, all the stuff 'everyone's heard of' - I know where I stand on AC DC and BB King. It's Alex Gaudino and Amparanoia and Baka Beyond I know nothing about.) So - any suggestions? FWIW I like most kinds of music other than hard rock, heavy metal, rap & hip hop. And folk, come to think of it.

I'm all ears! :smile:

KneesUp

Guru
Get a 500GB SSD fitted to an iPod classic and put it all on :smile:

U

User6179

Hit play, when you hear a song you like then send it to the mp3, see you in 5 years :smile:

Edit- 212 days of music in 500GB or 5088 hours:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Move everything you've heard of to a different folder and then listen to what's left on a random shuffle, deleting stuff you hate as you go?

2. If the id3 tags are complete you could try sorting by genre

Slioch

Guru
These friend's of yours, did they get out very much?

And wtf is "Behold the field of megaliths" :wacko:.

I'm off to do some Googling.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That looks like a collection put together by someone who has no idea what music they like... they pretend to be a 'muso' by downloading everything on Pirate Bay so they can say "yeah I got that" whenever someone mentions any band or artist. Delete the lot. :okay:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I like Antony & The Johnsons. The word 'unique is much-overused these days, but the first time I saw him on Jools the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and I knew I was listening to something seriously different. I even bought the album! To write off all the rest seems a tad extreme... :whistle:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

Probably the single biggest contributor has MS, so no, not much. (Having said which, he's just returned from Cambodia to Vietnam, so he's not completely stranded.)

In truth, this 500Gb is almost certainly collections of collections of collections - and yes, the two main 'direct' contributors are a bit 'hoardy'. Nevertheless...

As for Behold the field of megaliths - buggered if I know! :tongue:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What MP3 player do you have, most allow themselves to be filled completely by taking random tracks. That way you can sample a bit of everything and decide what you like. You might find that by excluding 2 Many DJs you can save a huge amount of space, they were quite prolific with their mix outputs.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

OK, I'm spectacularly wasting my working time here, but THIS (see pic) was on an old myspace page ... there was a music tab, but nothing came up

Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom