Farewell Dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Sending my condolences.

toffee

Guru
Sorry for your loss.
Attended my father in law's funeral this morning he went down hill very quickly in the last month, only 10 months after my mother in law passed away.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I lost my Dad just before Christmas in one of those short but not very pretty endings - so deepest sympathy.

If you are dealing with the estate (and all the paperwork) and it's simple then there is an embryonic online probate facility which may be of use - you register, post the Death Cert and Probate declaration and then the Grant Of Representation is posted back within 21 days.
It's all either been or is being taken care of but thanks for the info buddy :okay:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Uhhhffff. I am really sorry to hear this. My dad has had a couple of fairly bad diagnoses in the last few months - a big one today... and I suspect is probably feeling awfully depressed. If you have any thoughts or advice, and it wasn't too hard to share for you, I would be really happy to hear. Or just tell me to search for a thread! I really don't want to add to your burden.

I have no idea how I feel even about this stage of things. I can only imagine you are trying to find your feet. All the very best as you go through this.
I'm really sory to hear about your Dad.

Dad's diagnosis was hard as it was terminal from the start, that said he was mostly positive, (in front of us at least), and loved telling anyone he could when his PSA levels dropped and how pleased his oncologist was with him.

However, he fell last year and broke his ankle, and from then you could see the fight slowly go out of him.

In fact he never walked again after that. He fought against the physios and just seemed to accept what was happening as the inevitability it sadly was.

Staying positive must be really hard, especially when the pain is so intense, but after what I've seen in the last few months I truly believe that if you do lose it then the writing is on the wall.

There are PC threads on here, just type Prostate Cancer in the search box and have a mooch.

I wish your Dad, yourself and your family the very best of luck. Be there when he's struggling, celebrate when he's not. Say what you need to say, and as hard it will be help get his affairs in order, Dad did and knowing that helped us before today, and has been worth its weight in gold today by giving us the time we needed without worrying about x,y and z.

Take care buddy :hugs:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear it. :sad: I'm not looking forward to the news that my Dad's pancreatic cancer has finally reached its conclusion. I visited him last weekend (that involves a flight from Melbourne to Perth return, as he's on the other side of the country), and unfortunately it seems he's given up. I don't know how much longer he'll last (the chemotherapy no longer works, and has been stopped), but I hope it's not too painful for him. It was good to see him again for a short while (only 2 days), but it was also stressful for both of us.
I'm really sorry to hear this and I share your hopes for Dad.

Take care matey :hugs:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Sorry for your loss.
Attended my father in law's funeral this morning he went down hill very quickly in the last month, only 10 months after my mother in law passed away.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I do worry now for my Mum, she's not in the best of health with one thing and another, and even though Dad wasn't at home for the last few months, after 60 odd years of marriage I do worry how she's going to cope with Dad's passing today. We'll look after her obviously but we can't be with her 24/7 :sad:

Take care toffee :hugs:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Having lost my dear old Dad last month I know how hard it is.
I can't offer any advice as I think these things affect everyone in different ways but I know that the grief hit(s) me very hard at very odd times. One thing I have learnt is that when the tears start, just let them flow.
All the best, and I hope the pain will ease. Remember the good times and how much you Dad loved you and would want you to go forward, remembering him with love, and him wanting you to be happy in life.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Very sorry to hear of your loss. It's my late father's birthday today, he died 8 years ago on bonfire night and just had to sort out the sale of the house he bought in the 60s. We weren't close and that eased my loss but I've got my mum in hospital right now and that loss will be far more personal when it happens. But in some kind of pre-empathising way I'm already feeling the loss of her. Take care.

Top Bottom