Farewell Dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I lost my Dad this afternoon.

With advanced prostate cancer and having been in nursing care since November it wasn't a surprise , but even so.

We were lucky in that we were able to spend most of our time with him since getting 'the call' on Monday, and my Mum was able to visit him yesterday, (her own mobility problems means it's far from easy for her to get out).

Anyway I thought I'd mention it in a place that's discussed PC before. I know it's affected Cc'ers and I've previosuly posted about Dad's PC as well.

Also if I talk about it I break down right now, but somehow typing this has not had that effect.

Thanks for listening.
Sorry to hear that @smokeysmoo , take care x

Very sorry for your loss.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I'm so sorry to hear that.

My father died 19 years ago, and it would have been his 101st birthday this week. I still miss him every day, but it gets to hurt less eventually.

Thinking of you. :hugs:

Salar

A fish out of water
Very sad, deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Hyslop

Veteran
I'm sorry to hear,I'm just catching up with things,but having an elderly parent and having lost my own Father to Dementia,I'm not unmindful of what you're feeling.Take care.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Well it's Dads funeral this Tuesday at 3.30pm. The funeral directors have told us that Dads ready now, he's got his suit on, all the arrangements are done and it's going to happen whether I'm ready or not, I'm definitely not as it goes.

I know there are generally no rules for grieving but I do hope I can maintain some dignity on Tuesday. I had a massive moment on Friday night, which I guess I needed as I'd been surprisingly calmish since Dad died, so hopefully I can be strong for my Mum and we'll get through it and give Dad the send off he rightly deserves.

Thanks for all the kind messages and whatever your religious dealings may be, if you do have a moment please keep us in your thoughts on Tuesday.

U

User32269

I lost my Dad between Christmas and New Year. His wish was for a simple send off and he wanted no religious content at the service. He asked that no stranger was to be paid to talk about him, so it fell to me to conduct his simple cremation ceremony. I was dreading it.
Yet gently taking the p*ss out of him, while our family laughed at old familiar tales of his legendary grumpiness, was very cathartic and enabled me and close family to say goodbye in a loving and "real" way.
We all have different ways of doing these things but it is a chance to celebrate, grieve and say our goodbyes.
Hope all goes well, just you being there will help your Mum. Best wishes mate.

Top Bottom