Fashion that never dies (in your mind)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
They'll still be younger than most of the biker types i see.:whistle:
View attachment 430196

Reminds me that I bought those two films on DVD months ago. I must work out where in the house they ended up and watch the buggers!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
When I was a kid I never owned a brand label cos money was pretty tight and it's only recently that I've started indulging in the stuff my schoolmates wore.

I've discovered: Adidas trainers are far better than Woolworths Winfield ones but not as good as North Face. Levi jeans are thick and ill fitting, Wrangler are better but my Wildcat jeans were the best. White t-shirts don't really change but the body that goes in them does so I now wear golf t-shirts for their looser fit.

So basically the trainers, jeans and white shirt combo of 1983 still works in 2018 to my mind.

MarkF

Guru
I've always dressed well, my late father was a builder, first thing he'd do on coming home was bathe and then put on a shirt and tie, his shoes were always like mirrors. I have no recollection of him looking any other than immaculate.

Mid 50's is awkward, I won't wear a round collar, not even a t-shirt, on a normal working day I'll have a striped TM Lewin shirt, bright cufflinks, moleskin slim pants and boots, probably Loakes, I haven't owned a pair of regular shoes since I was at school. If I need a jacket then a Polo "Harrington", if I need a coat then it's a covert fitted waist Hammond, I get the piss taken out of me mercilessly at work. But I look at it like this, I am a balding middle aged guy with a broken nose, a pair of dad jeans and a fleece are not going to do me any favours and I only have to look at my work mates for confirmation of that.............I'll make a particular effort if I am going out on my Vespa,

I can and do dress down, but avoid logo's as much as I can, I don't like Sambas on middle aged men, they are not the originals anyway and look a bit too much "Status Quo" IMO. I've settled into New Balance 574's probably for life....

I like good quality, well designed gear and have no problem buying second hand, not undies or boots I hasten to add, I've bought quite few things from this ebay seller. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/beckina/m.html?_ssn=beckina

Nice coat!
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
I've always dressed well, my late father was a builder, first thing he'd do on coming home was bathe and then put on a shirt and tie, his shoes were always like mirrors. I have no recollection of him looking any other than immaculate.

Mid 50's is awkward, I won't wear a round collar, not even a t-shirt, on a normal working day I'll have a striped TM Lewin shirt, bright cufflinks, moleskin slim pants and boots, probably Loakes, I haven't owned a pair of regular shoes since I was at school. If I need a jacket then a Polo "Harrington", if I need a coat then it's a covert fitted waist Hammond, I get the piss taken out of me mercilessly at work. But I look at it like this, I am a balding middle aged guy with a broken nose, a pair of dad jeans and a fleece are not going to do me any favours and I only have to look at my work mates for confirmation of that.............I'll make a particular effort if I am going out on my Vespa,

I can and do dress down, but avoid logo's as much as I can, I don't like Sambas on middle aged men, they are not the originals anyway and look a bit too much "Status Quo" IMO. I've settled into New Balance 574's probably for life....

I like good quality, well designed gear and have no problem buying second hand, not undies or boots I hasten to add, I've bought quite few things from this ebay seller. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/beckina/m.html?_ssn=beckina

Nice coat!
View attachment 430263
Sounds great. So many middle aged people (women as well as men) just seem to give up.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sounds great. So many middle aged people (women as well as men) just seem to give up.
Not me! (To give up you have to have started out trying. )

:smile:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
At the grand old age of 40 I've just bought a pair of Levi 501s for the first time. Turns out they fit me better than any other pair I've ever worn so that's me sorted for jeans.

Was nearly 50 when I bought mine. "They'll last me out", I thought.

Julia9054

Guru
This thread's a bit bloke-heavy so far!

Doesn't every woman have a little black dress?
I have several but rarely wear them as my social life is generally more casual. I was trying to think of something female to contribute to this thread - the little black dress is a good example.
(Also, I like fashion and have far too many clothes and far, far too many pairs of shoes)

Dave 123

Legendary Member

Nice coat!
View attachment 430263

I think we need some kind of photographic evidence....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Nice coat!
View attachment 430263
I envy you.
I’ve never had the knack of dressing well, never found my own style. Having been an ‘outdoorsy’ type I’ve spent much of my life as ‘man at Millets’. I have had ‘decent’ suits for work, but the jackets have never really fitted me well. Fortunately workwise these days Chino’s a decent shirt and either smart DMs or good loafers suffice. For specials I have a pair if Loakes and 1 good well-cut Ted Baker jacket.
Most of my casual time even at 55 is spent in shorts and Tee or Polo shirts and a pair of Vans.

I know, I’m a mess. I can throw a few half decent things together if required to go out, but I’d never pass comment for sartorial elegance.
I wish it were otherwise.

My wife has me in grey Gap skinny trousers, desert boots, colourful shirts and Harrington jacket. A bit of an improvement over my Go Outdoors cargo/ fleece look with Silver Shadows.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Nice coat!
View attachment 430263

Are you gonna wear that in Accy on the 13th of October?!:ohmy:

Top Bottom