Fast food, becoming a ripoff ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
xx(

Give me recyclable glass bottles anyday.

I'm just pushing his buttons :whistle:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Its going off topic (but it's my thread hehe)...i like English Mustard, generally only in a beef or ham sandwich.
A few months ago i brought a sauage and mustard roll out of a vending machine, but it had French wholegrain mustard in it, never had it before...how bad can it be ?

xx( :eek: Fark me, it near made me spit it out. I scraped every ounce of the stuff out of the roll, still couldnt stand it, chucked the whole lot in the bin. :sad:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Had a chippy tea last night... fish: £4.65 and chips: £2.30 = £6.95.

I remember when a bag of chips was 19p... but I also remember a chippy tea being a special treat we only had once or twice a year, probably because even then, a chippy tea for a family of five was a fair whack.

PK99

Legendary Member

I remember when a bag of chips was 19p... but I also remember a chippy tea being a special treat we only had once or twice a year, probably because even then, a chippy tea for a family of five was a fair whack.

When a bag of chips was 19p, how much was a pint of beer?

Lozz360

Veteran
The last time I had a 'meal' in McD's was when I was at school (circa 28 + years ago, that makes me feel old) Happy Meals were £1.99. I just googled them and they are now £2.79. A d@mmed lies and percentage increase of 29% :ohmy:

I know I've been in once at least since one boxing day club run and that was the only coffee shop open.
It's only an annual increase of about 1.2% compounded for 28-years!

PK99

Legendary Member
The last time I had a 'meal' in McD's was when I was at school (circa 28 + years ago, that makes me feel old) Happy Meals were £1.99. I just googled them and they are now £2.79. A d@mmed lies and percentage increase of 29% :ohmy:

I know I've been in once at least since one boxing day club run and that was the only coffee shop open.

28 year ago, 1992. The price of a pint was £1.29
ie a Happy Meal was equivalent to about a pint and a half

Now. The price of a pint is £3.79
ie a Happy meal is equivalent to 0.73 pints

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/czms/mm23

Inflation since 1992 is 100%
Your Happy meal should now cost £3.98
https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1992

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I don't use any of the fast food chain partly the food looks unappealing and mainly for the huge environmental impact they are responsible for.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Most of the so-called 'fast food' places aren't that fast either... making us wait around for a good ten minutes for a burger.

This is fast food. You ask for it, Bill stacks it, you eats it

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member

I remember going to the chipshop in the late 1960s...a bag of chips was 6d or 2.5p

NeverFromConcentrate

Jeez. give me a tenner and I'll cook you a dinner that'l be delicious and feed at least 6 people, in fact I could probably do it for a fiver.
I think if you could open a restaurant where six adults eat for a tenner (and still make a profit) then you would not be short of business, at all!!!

At home I regularly eat for <1.66 per meal. We grow all our own veg and salad, have a sheep or two in the freezer and chickens for eggs etc, so personal consumption is really very cheap. But going out is another matter. Even the kings of fast food would find that price point difficult!

Top Bottom