Fast 'n Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
I may be preaching to the choir but I don't see how anyone could actually prefer to ride a heavy, clunky mtb over a razor-like <17.5lb road bike? I road my rusty old mtb down my street today and compared to my HouPlus road bike (which I know is far from comparatively light) its like riding a lawn mower. The increased handling, starting, stopping, etc., of my road bike is such a pleasure to ride I don't understand the disproportionate popularity of 35lb mtbs?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: MTBs are generally tougher, :whistle:

fossala

Guru
I have 3 bikes.

My fixed Bob Jackson. Very light, Dura ace throughout.

My commuter, Specialized single cross (fixed). Fairly light but most importantly, cheap!

My surly pugsley fat bike. Around 18kg and slow. So much fun off road.

What I'm trying to say is just pick the right tool for the job.

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

I just don't get the rush riding a farm tractor over rocks & tree roots that I do a razor blade thru traffic or sharp turns. The slow upright mtb riding position reminds me of a 35lb grandpa beach cruiser and the kiddy jumping off picnic tables makes me think of jr high bmx. But a 17.5lb road bike is a sleek, light stiletto IMO.

Road Bikes

Paved roads and streets,
paved paths, smooth paths.

• Pros
  • Light and agile, these bikes are designed for speed
  • "Over the handlebar" posture transfers the most power
  • Riding position allows most leg power & cuts through air
  • Components have tight tolerances and high polish
  • Light, tall wheels & thin tires reduce friction.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
You want to try a recumbent, for the laid back approach.
TB2OX9GmDXYBeNkHFrdXXciuVXa_!!6000000004544-0-tbvideo.jpg

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Its a preference I guess. I'm 220lbs so slicing thru traffic on a razor feels great. Fumbling thru a rock garden or having my fillings jarred loose while hurtling down a ravine seems soo childish.

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
Its a preference I guess. I'm 220lbs so slicing thru traffic on a razor feels great. Fumbling thru a rock garden or having my fillings jarred loose while hurtling down a ravine seems soo childish.

Ok, so ride your road bike then...

Don't you think there are enough divisions in the world without trying to prove your way of cycling I'd the only true one and the rest are just "childish"? I for one love the feeling of being a child.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Ok, so ride your road bike then...

Don't you think there are enough divisions in the world without trying to prove you way if cycling I'd the only true one and the rest are just "childish"? I for one love the feeling of being a child.
That's an immature delusion, it's not reality.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I used to ride those. My last one was a titanium Global (hence my forum name) which slowly evolved into a fast lightweight full rigid XC mountain bike, which you could easily shoulder up a mountain, such an unfashionable build that I had no chance of selling it so broke it up and Ebayed all the bits. I never got round to trying a burly modern 29" rig because after 21 years of mud and wear and tear and petty bickering in my club I was beginning to enjoy clean low-maintenance road riding straight from my front door.

Top Bottom