Faster/better 28c tyres for hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toby123

I have Spez Armadillo 700 x 28c road tyres on my hybrid, but have a suspicion that they are not the fastest tyres for this width. Also, when I fitted them, and when I had to change the inner tube of one due to a puncture (I went a bit off road), it was a bloody nightmare getting them on.

Therefore, I am wondering if the fact that they are highly puncture-protected is making them slow and giving me this trouble. Are there any alternatives out there? Let's just say that I'm not too fussed about puncture protection, although are there any out there that offer the best of both worlds?

LazyLoki

Continental Gatorskin's are a bit lighter and probably a bit faster rolling, especially if you got the 25s or 23s as opposed to the 28s. Otherwise maybe the Schwalbe Ultremo R which are considerably lighter than the Armadillos (185g each as opposed to almost 500g each for the Armadillos).

The reduced weight on the rim will make your bike feel nippier and keeping the tires pumped up to the maximum will keep the rolling resistance down and help prevent punctures. Also, if you're going to stick on some lighter tires, take the opportunity to put in some lightweight tubes too, Bontrager XXX Lites weigh in at about 60g each compared to the normal kind of Specialized that weigh over 100g.

Changing to Ultremo R tires and Bonty XXX Lite tubes will save you almost 700g of weight (a significant amount) and all of it off the rim where it matters the most. It'll really change the feeling of your bike.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Conti GP 4 Seasons come in 28mm, and are nicer than the Gatorskins (and cost more). They are reasonably puncture resistant, at least until getting near to being worn out.

LazyLoki said:
Changing to Ultremo R tires and Bonty XXX Lite tubes will save you almost 700g of weight (a significant amount) and all of it off the rim where it matters the most. It'll really change the feeling of your bike.
I think this is a "read the question" failure, unless you'd like to provide a link to where to buy 28mm Ultremo R tyres from?

GrasB

Veteran
In reality there's very little difference between 700x28C All Condition Armadillo & Conti Gator Skins once rolling. The main difference is the way you accelerate/decelerate, with much more weight the tyre dampens effects on it, it is in effect a heaver fly wheel.

dave r said:
I have one of these on the front of my fixed
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html
had it on a couple of months now, easy on of, grippy and no problems with it so far.
Planning to put one on the back when the gatorskin needs replacing.

Myself and Mrs TF have been riding these tyres on our fixed for 18 months now and not one puncture between us. What I disagree with Dave on though is that the tyre is grippy. Softer summer rubber is grippy, these are not called "hard case" for nothing. On saying that I have no problem with them, I'm just that tiny bit more careful when cornering in the wet.
Highly recommended tyres.
IMO Conti tyres are over rated and over priced. The gator skins nearly always let thorns through, I got so fed up with them I sold them at a cycle jumble.
You will always get people singing the praises of the tyres they are riding if they haven't had a puncture, but of course they could have just been plain lucky. I know 2 other people who use the Bontragers and between the 4 of us none have yet punctured, that's a lot of miles and you really, really don't want a rear wheel puncture on a fixed. Hope this helps.

Randochap

Senior hunter
The same misconceptions arise on every tyre thread.

The OP inquired about faster alternatives to their present tyre on a hybrid and -- correctly -- suspected there was a trade-off involved.

The downside to any performance tyre will be a less robust casing. A highly supple casing -- the hallmark of any fast tyre -- will necessarily be one that lets in more sharp objects.

The Schwalbe Ultremo, which I've used extensively, uses a high-tech, high-density vectran layer for protection. It is indeed a fast, relatively puncture resistant tyre ... but it is not suitable for daily commuting. Incidentally, if you happen to be running Ultremo Rs, make sure they are not part of the recall batch!

The most persistent misapprehension regarding bicycle tyres is that thinner and harder is faster. This is simply not the case, unless all your riding is on rollers or a meticulously maintained wooden track. In the real world, we ride on less-than-smooth roads requiring a certain amount of give, otherwise the bouncing of the tyre/bike/rider creates just the opposite of the claimed effect -- forward motion is impeded, not to mention traction and comfort!

Currently, the best r&d in this area (balance between speed and durability) is going into the 650b size, with a new 38mm "Pari-Moto" about to hit the scene, but I'd agree with a writer above that you might try something like the Conti 4-Season. Panaracer Pacela w/ "Tourguard" are also a nice tyre with a good balance between performance and durability. They are available up to 37mm. I haven't tried the new RibMo but it sounds interesting.

There is no good argument for anything less than 25mm and better to use minimum 28s IMO for commuting, touring and long-distance riding. And experiment with tyre pressures somewhat less than orthodoxy insists. For instance, unless you weigh 15 stone, a 28mm tyre needs no more than 70-80 psi. You might be pleasantly surprised.

LazyLoki

andrew_s said:
Conti GP 4 Seasons come in 28mm, and are nicer than the Gatorskins (and cost more). They are reasonably puncture resistant, at least until getting near to being worn out.

I think this is a "read the question" failure, unless you'd like to provide a link to where to buy 28mm Ultremo R tyres from?

Err, no, I read it, and as I imagine you are aware of Ultremo's don't come in 28mm but the OP was asking about a faster rolling tire and I was just throwing that out there as an option as taking 350g of the rim of each wheel is going to change the feel of the bike when accelerating a fair bit.

OP
OP
T

toby123

Oh dear, I don't know what to do :thumbsup:. Maybe I should just stick with the Armadillos after all. I'm supposed to be doing a 69 mile :becool: in March, and I want to go at a good pace and if I do get a flat tyre, be able to

repair it quickly.

potsy

Rambler
toby123 said:
Oh dear, I don't know what to do :thumbsup:. Maybe I should just stick with the Armadillos after all. I'm supposed to be doing a 69 mile :becool: in March, and I want to go at a good pace and if I do get a flat tyre, be able to

repair it quickly.
Maybe you should get some Marathon+ then you'll realise how quick and easy to fit your current tyres are:smile:
seriously I'd go for the Conti 4 seasons if money no object,or stick with the Armadillos

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Randochap said:
The OP inquired about faster alternatives to their present tyre on a hybrid and -- correctly -- suspected there was a trade-off involved. ...

Speaking as someone who on owns one bike and uses it pretty much daily I say the fact it is a hybrid has nothing much to do with it. As a few roadies with carbon bike have found when they try to out sprint me away from the lights :becool:

Randochap said:
... There is no good argument for anything less than 25mm and better to use minimum 28s IMO for commuting, touring and long-distance riding. And experiment with tyre pressures somewhat less than orthodoxy insists. For instance, unless you weigh 15 stone, a 28mm tyre needs no more than 70-80 psi. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Experience tells me other wise, hit a bump with the tyres at least than 80 psi and you will be hearing that pssst pssst pssst sound that you really don't want to hear. For the record I have never weighted more that 13 stone.

Randochap

Senior hunter
HJ said:
Speaking as someone who on owns one bike and uses it pretty much daily I say the fact it is a hybrid has nothing much to do with it. As a few roadies with carbon bike have found when they try to out sprint me away from the lights :becool:

HJ, I'm necessarily generalizing for us ordinary riders and not speaking for Hairy Hard Men of the Highlands.:thumbsup:

Experience tells me other wise, hit a bump with the tyres at least than 80 psi and you will be hearing that pssst pssst pssst sound that you really don't want to hear. For the record I have never weighted more that 13 stone.

Sure, I've gotten a pinch flat from hitting a pothole at speed with 700X23s @ 110psi ... and I weigh 130lbs wet. Pinch flats are less common with my 650 X 42bs @ 50psi. In fact, never had one.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
is there is a difference in the propensity of a tyre to pinch puncture in relation to size alone? If you had all other things equal would a 23mm be more likely to pinch than a 32mm? I don't mean identical pressure but equalised, say 85psi in the 32 and 105 in the 23.

Top Bottom