Fastest you've been on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fastest recorded speed for me is just under 50mph on the coast road from Cap Gris Nez towards Calais.
I have tried a number of times to crack 50mph there and never quite managed it.
Coming down from Mont Ventoux I'm sure I did about 60mph, but my computer had packed up. Thin air and about 6 km of 10% slope meant I certainly felt as if I was significantly faster than 50 mph.

Slick

Guru
The same happens with full face motorcycle helmets, which is why earplugs are commonly worn by bikers. There is little or no wind noise with open face or no helmet at all.
A friend of mine just sold his beloved motorcycle after a number of years as it was irritating his tinnitus to such an extent that he just couldn't take it anymore.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The best I've done when I had a cycle computer to record the time was hitting just over 52mph coming down Tan Hill in North Yorkshire. However, I could be remembering wrong and it might have been more (it was definitely in the 50s). I've likely been faster when I didn't have cycle computer too, but who knows?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I know I enjoy the feeling of riding fast. It's simply exhilarating.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Why do you think that is?

Apparently there was an exodus - last year? I wasn't here when it happened, so I don't know the reason. You'd probably have a better idea than me (assuming you were here) - but rather than diverting this thread, perhaps you could PM me if you do.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I checked the maximum speed on today's ride... It was a bit lower than usual because of a cross-headwind on the fastest part of the descent. I have to freewheel on it because I don't have a high enough gear/cadence to use pedal power.

This is the descent - Blackstone Edge to Littleborough:

Hollingworth Lake and Littleborough from Blackstone Edge.jpg

Speed:

Blackstone Edge descent speed with cross-headwind.jpg

71.6 km/hr = 44.5 mi/hr.

I have freewheeled to 88 km/hr (55 mi/hr) on that descent in the past with more favourable wind conditions. I often catch cars down there but never overtake them - just too risky! Apart from slightly unpredictable drivers, there are often VERY unpredictable sheep at the roadside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom