Fasting and the 5:2 diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do the two fasting days have to be consecutive?
From my experience, this is what we do.

We always eat an exceptionally healthy diet, however we do consume what the UK's NHS would have you believe are dangerously high levels of alcohol...... ( But having lived in France for a long time, somehow or other the French health services don't agree with the UK NHS's figures )

When we do our diet days we always knock on the head the booze and eat primarily salads and ultra low calorie foods and quite frankly our weight falls off in spade loads!

PK99

Legendary Member
Says who? Different strokes for different folks...

true. but most sources I've seen recommend splitting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Finally, does it work?

I got complacent and stopped for a year but I put some weight back on and I also miss the sense of well-being that I got from fasting so I am going to start again next week after I get back from a family visit.
3.5 weeks (7 fasting days) later (and even with a week off the bike with a chest infection) ... 2 kgs (~4.5 pounds) lost, noticeably less belly fat, and feeling good. Apart from the chest infection, that is!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Maz has been on the 5:2 regime for a few weeks, spoke to the Dr about it when she was there having her blood pressure checked and the Doc said it was a good idea, it is supposed to mimic the way older generations ate (but that was due to being skint before pay-day)

As for me I quite like her doing it but then I normally cook all the meals in our house (and have done for 20+yrs) but I don't 'do' low calorie cooking, my meals are always made with quality fresh ingredients but more often than not involve Butter, Olive oil or full fat Milk (for flavour) and quite a few meals need Wine in them (sometimes a whole bottle) but then for me a good evening meal is the highlight of the day always eaten at the dining table.
Maz on the other hand is quite happy eating off a tray in front of the Television so she has decided to eat these ready made 'slimmers' meals mainly on the 'starve' days unless I cook something like a Chicken Fajita and Salad but then I upset her by having Sour Cream and Chives or Salsa on mine (which pushes the calorie count over her limit for the day) so very often I've been going out to visit some of my single 'boozy' mates (the ones Maz doesn't really like) of an evening.

Yorksman

can`t concentrate on anything other than eating.

Also, what`s best to eat to avoid hunger pains?

Sounds counter-intuitive but preparing food helps, but, starting with healthy foods and starting from scratch. It helps if you prepare dishes which need leaving overnight. These might be marinades for meat or fish or making one pots like bortsch. There is something about handling, washing, peeling, preparing spice mixes and generally taking time over preparation which distracts those hunger pangs. Plus, when you do eventually eat it, it's healthy food. You control what goes in. Making sauces, marinades and spice mixes means you can also build up a cupboard full of things to make future meals taste great. The main thing is, oddly, handling food takes your mind off wanting to eat it.

hoopdriver

Guru
Exercise is a good appetite suppressant. If you're really hungry, eat a carrot or apple - very low calorie, but at the same time filling, at least enough to get you through those crunch periods

Top Bottom