Fasting and the 5:2 diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This has probably been done to death, but am going to have a stab at it anyway, I need to lose 2 stone:eek:

Anyhoo, I`ve tried it before and can only get to about 4/5pm and am absolutely ravenous, and can`t concentrate on anything other than eating. One of the days I plan to do at the weekend on my rest day so not a major problem, but the other will be during the week.

My question is, do I cycle to work on the other fast day, a distance of 22 miles on that day or get the bus?

Also, what`s best to eat to avoid hunger pains?

Finally, does it work?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Look HERE for a long discussion on the subject.

It definitely does work. Some people witter on about it being 'unnatural' not to eat 3 meals a day but most humans in history have not been able to rely on having regular meals every day. Most animals in the wild can't rely on a constant supply of food either. That is why bodies store fat so easily and why we are tempted to stuff our faces in case there is a famine coming up. Having unlimited amounts of calorie-dense food available often causes problems.

It wouldn't hurt you to have a day off the bike and catch the bus on your fasting day though I think I would be okay for 22 miles. Maybe not if the job involved physical activity though.

I didn't suffer hunger problems. I liked to eat huge portions of salad or steamed veg with something relatively low in calories like a tin of tuna (in brine) or cottage cheese. Sometimes I made my own vegetable soup and had big bowls of that a couple of times on a fasting day.

I got complacent and stopped for a year but I put some weight back on and I also miss the sense of well-being that I got from fasting so I am going to start again next week after I get back from a family visit.

Good luck!

This has probably been done to death, but am going to have a stab at it anyway, I need to lose 2 stone:eek:

Anyhoo, I`ve tried it before and can only get to about 4/5pm and am absolutely ravenous, and can`t concentrate on anything other than eating. One of the days I plan to do at the weekend on my rest day so not a major problem, but the other will be during the week.

My question is, do I cycle to work on the other fast day, a distance of 22 miles on that day or get the bus?

Also, what`s best to eat to avoid hunger pains?

Finally, does it work?
My advice would be to give ADF diets a wide berth. If you want to feel fuller for longer, up your protein intake, by eating proper food with a high protein content.

screenman

Legendary Member
I though that on the fasting day 600 calories was acceptable. As for the rest then I am with ColinJ. I am starting back on today.

CXRAndy

Guru
Do fasted rides, low HR zone 2 for about an hour to 1.5 hrs. Then eat or drink a protein rich food source immediately. Your 22 mile commute is about the right distance to do it fasted 2-3 times a week. Lots of vegetables to help fill you, with protein rich food aswell. Eat nuts or have a protein drink early evening. Beware though carb and protein are the same calorific value so don't over do the protein intake overall. You're wanting to lose weight

Don't drop carbs totally but reduce to about 45% of your daily intake else you will become weak and possibly poorly

Me and my better half have done 5:2 since the Michael Moseley programme.
My lady enjoys it and is getting great results. For some reason I lose the weight too fast and get ill, so I just eat leaner and high protein, which has lost me nearly two stone this year.

screenman

Legendary Member
Forget the weight loss benefits but I honestly feel more awake when eating 5:2

PK99

Legendary Member
Me and my better half have done 5:2 since the Michael Moseley programme.
My lady enjoys it and is getting great results. For some reason I lose the weight too fast and get ill, so I just eat leaner and high protein, which has lost me nearly two stone this year.

Don't forget the 500/600 number is a broad guideline, best thing is to work out your basal metabolic rate and calorie needs and work the 5:2 diet to 25% of that.

Mine comes out around 800 calories on fasting days

GuyBoden

Guru
Thanks for the post, I've decided to give this a go, I'm just over 16 stone at the moment and about 6 foot, which is too much weight to carry around, especially on a bike uphill.

Top Bottom