Fasting and the 5:2 diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Forget the weight loss benefits but I honestly feel more awake when eating 5:2

Me - it makes me notice how shite biscuits and chocolates make me feel.
When I started 5:2 - I would plan so the fast days were non \ gym cycling days. But I actually find I felt better on the fast days.

If youre struggling - perhaps just try to reduce your calories on fast days. I probably went over 600 on my first few fast days - as I topped with bananas , ryvita crackers in the evening.
I find that boiled eggs are great fillers for around 70 calories

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That became another favourite choice for me when I started to get bored of cottage cheese and tuna.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm on my first "Fast" today, green tea all day and a salad tonight. I'll try your recommended boiled egg if I get very hungry, thanks. :okay:

I drink Gunpowder tea, a small tea spoon in a litre pot is all that's needed, more than that and I find it tastes too bitter.
gunpowder+green+tea.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
First fasting day completed (nearly) ^_^

Green Tea all day.
One poached egg.
3 Raw Carrots.
Salad: Onion, Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber and two small Avocados. (Oil and vinegar dressing.)
(More salad available with no Avocado, if I need it later)

Not too bad, I thought it was going to be more of a struggle, but I wouldn't like to go for a 100km ride while fasting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Green Tea all day.
One poached egg.
3 Raw Carrots.
Salad: Onion, Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber and two small Avocados. (Oil and vinegar dressing.)

Not too bad, I thought it was going to be more of a struggle, but I wouldn't like to go for a 100km ride while fasting.
Well done. Watch the amount of oil in your dressing though - 25 mL of extra virgin olive oil has about 200 calories in it. I usually do without the oil on fasting days and make a dressing from garlic, vinegar, black pepper and lemon juice. Sometimes with a little honey and multigrain mustard added.

PK99

Legendary Member

Green Tea all day.
One poached egg.
3 Raw Carrots.

that seems unduly restrictive.

typical fasting day for me was

bacon and egg for breakfast 200calories

Apple and banana for lunch 200 calories

chicken or fish plus mountain of roast veg 200 calories

never felt hungry and steadily dropped weight at 0.5 kg per week

My most adored loved one and I honestly do drink considerably more alcohol than the NHS suggests is safe to do so, but despite this our blood counts are both that of young, fit and healthy teenagers and yet we are both in our 60's.

We quite regularly do the 5-2 diet, or to be honest we do a 5-3 or even a 5-4 and on any of those diet days we drink nothing but water.

I don't know what it is about my metabolism but whenever I set my mind firmly on losing weight, it normally falls off me hand over fist, heaven knows why.?

For me/us a dedicated 5-2 diet works superbly but on those diet days we slash our food consumption dramatically and exist primarily on just fruit, salad and water.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Reading this and the previous thread linked to by OP, it would need military planning with a family of 5 for me ! Living on your own or as a couple it would be a piece of p .....

GuyBoden

Guru
Second fast today. (after a very greedy weekend of eating)

Green Tea all day.
3 Raw Carrots.
1 Poached egg.
1 Apple.
Olives and Peppers in balsamic vinegar.
Vegetable Soup: Carrot, Cabbage, Swede, Broccoli with veg oxo stock cube.

My Wife had Porridge, two apples and Veg soup, she's been too busy to be hungry.

Tin Pot

Guru
This has probably been done to death, but am going to have a stab at it anyway, I need to lose 2 stone:eek:

Anyhoo, I`ve tried it before and can only get to about 4/5pm and am absolutely ravenous, and can`t concentrate on anything other than eating. One of the days I plan to do at the weekend on my rest day so not a major problem, but the other will be during the week.

My question is, do I cycle to work on the other fast day, a distance of 22 miles on that day or get the bus?

Also, what`s best to eat to avoid hunger pains?

Finally, does it work?

You can make a song and dance of it, or you can do what my mum has done for decades.

Step 1. Some days, she simply doesn't eat.

End of plan.

hoopdriver

Guru
Instead of following a diet, I have found that just cutting out junk, eating smaller portions, drinking plenty of water and going for daily hard workouts on the cross-trainer in the gym have worked a treat. I have lost nearly two stone since July, feel much better for it, and yet never really felt as though I was "dieting". Haven't really missed anything at all.

screenman

Legendary Member
Reading this and the previous thread linked to by OP, it would need military planning with a family of 5 for me ! Living on your own or as a couple it would be a piece of p .....

Why is that? Just because they are eating does not mean you have to.

I am married to a feeder, that can make things harder but we get around it. Often me cutting down is a lot harder for her than it is for me.

hoopdriver

Guru
Yes, you just need to establish the idea that you are cutting back - once that gets across and is accepted, and most people would be supportive, I should think - you should be fine. There are four of us in our house and I am the only one actively losing weight, but it is not a big issue.

Top Bottom