Favero Assioma Dual Power Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TMK17

This may be the dumbest question asked in these forums (hopefully I'm in the right category), but I'll ask anyway. I'm not an elite cyclist, but enjoy cycling and planning on making it my preferred workout. I'm coming off of surgery on my right knee and my running days are pretty much over. I'm interested in purchasing the Assioma Dual Power Pedals just so I can monitor myself and know when I'm pushing my right knee to the limits. Now for the dumb question. Can these pedals be used with standard running shoes or are cleats required? Thanks for any advice in advance.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Are these what you are hoping to buy? You'll need cycling shoes with cleats.

DRM

Guru
According to their website, the cleats are Look Keo type, not Shimano, the plastic road 3 bolt items, it seems like a pair are supplied, but when worn it's Look Keo replacements :okay:

OP
OP
T

TMK17

How are you going to know what the limits are? Wattage is not going to tell you that.
Well it's obvious I'll know when I'm pushing my limits by what my body tells me. With dual power measurements I'll have a baseline of what my power output is currently on each leg and if I'm making any improvements or if my left leg is over compensating.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well it's obvious I'll know when I'm pushing my limits by what my body tells me. With dual power measurements I'll have a baseline of what my power output is currently on each leg and if I'm making any improvements or if my left leg is over compensating.
If you know what your limits are by what your body tells you, then you don’t need the power meter. Don’t get me wrong a power meter can be use a very useful training aid (I have multiple power meters myself), but to use them properly you need to know what your limits are by breaking them. I would suggest that you don’t want to ruin your surgery by breaking the limit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes. I'm a newbie here and to power pedals and wasn't sure if they were a requirement. I guess I'll have to invest in a pair of shoes also. Thanks for replying.
Happy to help. If I may offer a word of caution. I appreciate what you are planning to measure and why but this isn't the intended use of a power metre.

From what I understand measuring power output and then riding to a particular wattage requires an understanding of and use of all the numbers involved. I have friends who are very interested in their numbers and successfully use a power metre. I don't use one as I'm more a freestyle riding by feel. My cycling buddies are always urging me to invest as they say it will improve my cycling, especially climbing. I don't fancy the idea of pushing a 3-4 mile climb at a constant wattage.

My response is I'm not disciplined enough and it takes me all my concentration to sit back and spin a climb, resisting the urge to attack it!!! I'm also not very interested in my numbers other than heart rate and climbing rate.

I would suggest initially you ride according to how your body and leg feels. If you want a record and some comparisons join Strava. You get basic info free and a lot more if you become a subscriber for +/-£40.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
T

TMK17

Happy to help. If I may offer a word of caution. I appreciate what you are planning to measure and why but this isn't the intended use of a power metre.

From what I understand measuring power output and then riding to a particular wattage requires an understanding of and use of all the numbers involved. I have friends who are very interested in their numbers and successfully use a power metre. I don't use one as I'm more a freestyle riding by feel. My cycling buddies are always urging me to invest as they say it will improve my cycling, especially climbing. I don't fancy the idea of pushing a 3-4 mile climb at a constant wattage.

My response is I'm not disciplined enough and it takes me all my concentration to sit back and spin a climb, resisting the urge to attack it!!! I'm also not very interested in my numbers other than heart rate and climbing rate.

I would suggest initially you ride according to how your body and leg feels. If you want a record and some comparisons join Strava. You get basic info free and a lot more if you become a subscriber for +/-£40.gave up on
Enjoy.
A couple of years prior to my knee injury I changed my running training from pace or heart rate to running power using a Stryd. (I know. Different animal, but same principle). It was the first time after years of running that I started to see significant gains and I was training much better. I also discovered the shortcomings of training by pace and/or heart rate. Because of my injury, my running days are pretty much over and because there's less impact, cycling seems like the next best option. So, I am familiar with how to train with the numbers and based on my experience with running power, I believe cycling with power will be just as beneficial to me especially if I'm able to examine data from both sides. Thanks all for the input and help.

OP
OP
T

TMK17

Thank you very much for this link. This will work perfectly for me. I will eventually be buying cycling shoes, but winter's on the way here and I'll have my bike on my indoor trainer. This will save me some money until spring time when I return to the roads.

mattobrien

Guru
I have a pair of Assioma pedals, along with four other PMs. Personally I never look at the L/R balance anymore. I used to looks sometimes after a ride, but it wasn’t something I actively looked at or compensated for while riding.

I would always say to anyone considering buying a PM, if you’re not training with power, then there’s no point in getting one, it’s just another number to look at.

The Assiomas have been rock solid for me so far (I’ve had them about a year), but my default power meter is a Quarq, I don’t need dual sided measurement, only total power. I have two L/R pms and three Quarqs.

OP
OP
T

TMK17

Would monitoring your left/right balance have made a difference if you had a large differential between the two? As my knee progressively got worse, I was able to see my balance and ground contact time change by recording running dynamics using a Styrd and Garmin's HRM-Tri and adjust accordingly. As I said from the start, I'm new to cycling power meters. But it's my belief I'd be able to use the metrics from dual pedals to assist in my future training. Do you believe this is not the case? I'm always open to hearing the pros and cons.

Top Bottom