Favourite pub sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
SlaughteredLamb_sign_110519.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not so much a favourite, as a 'topical (then) discovery' which a few of us rode past somewhere in Wiltshire last year - at Solstice time. We didn't go in.
Unlike William
2dk06ls.jpg

They'll get lots of free houses...and bleat about how little one has to upkeep them and one needs a little more money from one's devoted public etc. He definitely needs the Vulcan ears addition!
Did we??

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I knew we would have done pub signs before somewhere!

Here is one in Todmorden that I rather like. (Strictly, it's a board on the wall of a pub, but it's near enough.) I don't do pubs any more but a friend has had some good nights out there. It is run by a Thai family. I think you can see where they are coming from with some of the comments on the board!

Not served idiot.jpg

:smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Talk about a thread resurrection, I read through and thought Vernon was on his second coming for a moment!

Not pub signs, but humorous pub chalk boards...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...qbPRAhVW_WMKHeCSChUQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=704

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Many, many years ago there was a pub on or near the A33 south of Reading. It was owned by Courage (do they still exist?) and featured their logo, a cockerel on the sign, with the name of the pub below: "The Partridge".

Haitch

Flim Flormally
There used to be a pub at Crown Point in Denton, Manchester, called the King's Head (variously with and without apostrophe). The sign was a painting of Denis Law in Scotland kit heading in a goal. The pub is now sadly renamed Last Orders.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Here's one from Earl Sterndale in Derbyshire.

186202.jpg

From my one visit, the sign is more notable than the pub.
In some ways you're right but I hold it in fond affection. I revisited it after a break of 25 years and the same miserable landlady was still serving.
We ordered 2 large pork pies and asked for 5 plates so the 5 of us could share. The landlady looked at me with menace and growled...
"2 pies. 2 plates"

Attachments

• 186202.jpg
    186202.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Top Bottom