Favourite vegetarian cookbooks!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Ones you really use a lot as opposed to looking nice on a coffee table or book shelf ^_^ Ive now got the use of an oven and grill again [was living in a cabin] so have a lot more options. Im not a bad cook but seem to be cooking a lot of same things so need some inspiration! I quite like Jamie Oliver's style but he does seem to be meat focused. Happy with vegan books too :okay:

Last edited:
I’ve literally just ordered one online.
F4B94004-68E1-4BBA-B1C8-5D3B8F1BE03E.jpeg

*didn’t have time to add a comment as it just zoomed off.*

I’ve been a vegetarian for the last 4-5 years.
I’m looking more for healthier eating than a ‘diet fad.’
I tried keto but that’s not my thing, although I do want to keep my carbs to a minimum, and have higher levels of fat, protein and fibre.
I think the most important aspect of eating/living healthily is to virtually eliminate sugar consumption, drink plenty of water, and exercise regularly.
I should get the book within 10 days, so I’ll update on here with any progress/praise of said ‘diet.’

vickster

Legendary Member
A meat eating friend of mine and her family is very positive about the Bosh vegan cookbooks

Personally, I just Google for something that will suit my ingredients eg a curry

I got Jamie’s Veg book as a gift but I’ll admit to not having used it, all too complicated for one person (I’m a lazy cook)

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Pescatarian here, and now rely on a fairly extensive repertoire plus some of my own confusion cooking adventures, but here are two we've used extensively in the past. Madhur Jaffrey's courgette meatball recipe takes care of the occasional glut of courgettes - the 'meatballs' freeze very successfully.

While this one is included only for its curiosity value. There are some very uninspiring recipes from this 1908 publication, but the adverts are fascinating!

Just my 2 pennies worth.

I gave up on cookbooks even thought they are good. Internet has the ability to narrow down great recipes from the thousands out there. I actually have a shelf full of cookbooks but my last purchase was about 15 years ago.

Internet also widen my horizons and choices are much more diverse. I also like Youtube explainers on cooking a particular dish.

1647004683475.jpeg

vickster

Legendary Member
Ditto. I'm a fan of 'budget bytes' at the moment.
All those silly American measurements though (although I do have a set of US 'cups' they're annoying to use :laugh:)

presta

Guru
Vegetarian or otherwise, I find cookery books bordering on useless, because you can rarely find more than one or two recipes out of the whole book where you can buy the perishable ingredients in the quantities you need for one person. It's usual for most recipes to use at least one ingredient that's not used again anywhere else in the book.

Batch cooking helps, but some meals aren't suited to it, and batch cooked stuff gets monotonous. I have a menu of recipes I've collected/invented myself, which either don't use perishables I can't buy in small quantities, or use stuff I can finish off in other recipes without creating another lot of leftovers. The problem with that is that many of them use the same old ingredients (onion/tinned toms/peppers) with just a change of herbs/spices.

That's very similar to what I had last night, but there was chicken in mine as well.

Last edited:
+1 for Mr Google.

TBH I rarely used cookery books unless I'm doing a cake or souffle as for those, you do need exact quantities of things if you're not going to end up with a frisbee. Otherwise, I just wing it, cooking mostly "by eye" but then I'm probably more experienced in the kitchen than average.

Books aside, the Tesco magazine / website always has some really good veggie / vegan recipes, and they've joined my repertoire. The latest issue has a really tasty sweet potato, spinach & coconut curry - which I've already made twice. Did throw some chick peas in it though, which works really well.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 for Mr Google.

TBH I rarely used cookery books unless I'm doing a cake or souffle as for those, you do need exact quantities of things if you're not going to end up with a frisbee. Otherwise, I just wing it, cooking mostly "by eye" but then I'm probably more experienced in the kitchen than average.

Books aside, the Tesco magazine / website always has some really good veggie / vegan recipes, and they've joined my repertoire. The latest issue has a really tasty sweet potato, spinach & coconut curry - which I've already made twice. Did throw some chick peas in it though, which works really well.
Sainsburys online have a good selection of recipes too. BBC Good Food also (and no silly measurements in cups :biggrin: )

Tenkaykev

Guru
Been Veggie for over 50 years and it’s wonderful to see so much choice in the shops and restaurants nowadays. I remember many years ago having a plastic contraption that pressed your own veggie burgers. I did have Madhur Jaffreys veggie cook book, and being brought up in Brum there was a large part of the Indian population who were veggie, and lots of small shops where “ exotic “ herbs and spices were readily available and extremely cheap.

Top Bottom