Fear of Death?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

domtyler said:
There is simply no justification for your agnosticism. There is not and never has been a single, solitary shred of evidence for any supernatural beings or reincarnations. A quick look at the human brain and its psychology will also tell you straight away that the creation of religions was always going to be inevitable in the absence of scientific truth.

So to correct your earlier statement:

Dyings certain.
The times uncertain.
What happens after is certain - you cease to exist.

But what happens to your soul?

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
But what happens to your soul?

I'm sure you're just being playful as you are someone who claims to have a masters degree in physics, but there is no such thing as a soul.

Abitrary

domtyler said:
I'm sure you're just being playful as you are someone who claims to have a masters degree in physics, but there is no such thing as a soul.

Physics, not religion, in the form of string theory is the only thing that has evidence of a soul, and it exists in the form of something called micro-tubules.

domtyler

Über Member
Abitrary said:
Physics, not religion, in the form of string theory is the only thing that has evidence of a soul, and it exists in the form of something called micro-tubules.

Where do the tubules go though?

bonj2

domtyler said:

There is. Your soul is an abstract concept, but you need a soul in order to have self-awareness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul
You must HAVE one, you may not use it very regularly, but you've definitely got one.

Renard

If you aint got soul you aint got anything...

buggi

Bird Saviour
There may be no scientific evidence that God exists but it is also acknowledged by scientists that they cannot prove He does not exist.

some people are frightened of dieing, others afraid of how they will die (painfully?). one sure way NOT to be frightened anymore is to find religion and make friends with God. then you don't actually care if you die because you think you'll go to heaven. and if you die and find out there isn't a heaven ...well it's no great loss, you led a good life anyway.

but if you don't make friends with God and you find out there is a heaven when you die well, then, you're kind of screwed because there would be a hell too :blush:

makes you think?

Abitrary

I think that the death worry is because we live too long these days.

The fact that we'll have to work till age 67 is depressing enough. In that time we'll have to:

-rear 1.2 children
-work out how to use a mac a PC and a linux
-still do that for the 20 years after we retire when we die peacefully at 97

The romans used to live a full and drunken debauched life until they died of gout or were slaughtered in a den of lions at age 34.

Those were the days.

Abitrary

pzycoman said:
Not worried or scared of death, kinda looking forward to it infact. When I did the pilgrimage thing, was hoping that I did die...

again... boredom.

You should have got off your arse and done another pilgramage straight away

yenrod

vbc said:
Forgive the subject in what is usually a light hearted forum but....

Are you afraid of death or worry about it, even think about it at all?

I ask because I'm 50 this year and the Reaper probably has his eye on me now concerning future business and, after a near fatal bike accident last year which I have no memory of, I was thinking that popping my clogs while out riding on a fair summer's day in our beautiful countryside wouldn't be too bad a way to depart this mortal coil.

After having nearly killed myself and loosing a few people close to me over the past few years, I find myself with a more than passing obsession with....passing.

Any thoughts?

I'm 35yrs and have thoughts on this...

A little while back I was worrying about if my heart packed in on a ride and I just thought 'well id find a way to get thru it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:, one way or another ;)' then, I realised; IF MY HEART PACKS IN its curtains ! :smile::ohmy::smile: :blush:

How I cursed myself.

Seriously though, I do know the true beauty of life is in the physical of touch, smell, sight, breath...appreciating and respecting and valueing others whomever they be, whatever they do from the most basic form of thought is what i do and hope to 'hell' its returned...

Top Bottom