Fear of Death?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Religion can give you something positive to focus on, encourage a sense of community and promote(in most cases)basic moral and family values.
The opposite of depression could well be the joy and positive affirmation people receive from embracing life and thanking their creator(s).

As you say Abitrary, depression is a reaction to confusion and there is someone on every corner to tell you how to avoid this confusion, mostly these suggestions are only a distraction from the confusion which either returns or become internalised and in turn, more damaging.

I personally feel levels and complexity of depression are rising in pace with modern western life.
The constant media barrage of how we should look, how we should behave, who to admire and who to admonish, etc.

People in the west are being pushed harder and taxed to the point of dispair thru social engineering and cracks are starting to show all over the place.
This seems not to be a problem when the East can provide million upon millions of new customers fresh and keen for the 'lifestyle' game, whereas millions of us in the West are being burnt out, disillusioned and exhausted by years of it, and apparently with no 'settled' end in sight.*

The Western answer to depression?
Therepy eases you back into it all again and meds stop you screaming your face off at human injustices in public.*

You might blur/dull the corners of a square peg but you still won't get it to fit comfortably in a round hole.*

The tdr1nka philosophy is to, no matter what, allow yourself to have a positive dream, no matter how small or seemingly unachievable it might be.

Mine is that I have been encouraging others to improve their health, have fun and save a lot of stress by cycling for all my years in the saddle or that one day, Mrs. tdr1nka & I will escape the Metrolop*ss for good, to our life in the country, having that concerted stab at self sufficiancy that we and so many promise themselves.

*Extracts from D. tdr1nka's 'Guide To Modern Depression: Come On Now, Cheer Up!'.:evil:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Fab Foodie said:
Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, which represents the interests of atheists and agnostics, said that studies purporting to show a link between happiness and religion were "all meaningless".
I'll have to check this out, seems strange this guy can claim to represent both groups. Seems he'd have to misrepresent either myself or Dom?
Reminds me of Mary Whitehouse in the 70's. Loads of political clout, but her group only actually had about 150 paid up members.....:evil:

when i was 26 i was diagnosed with Cancer (testicular) and thought i was going to die !!!! ,the whole family was in shock ,everyone was in shock,i was operated on immaediately,the following day i broke down,which was the best thing to happen to me ,as i then looked on all things in life as positive,i was then given the all clear a few weeks later and started to enjoy life again and now 10 years on ,I have been discharged from my remission for Cancer and will be completing in the Etape 2008 :evil:

Melvil

tdr1nka said:
Religion can give you something positive to focus on, encourage a sense of community and promote(in most cases)basic moral and family values.
The opposite of depression could well be the joy and positive affirmation people receive from embracing life and thanking their creator(s).

As you say Abitrary, depression is a reaction to confusion and there is someone on every corner to tell you how to avoid this confusion, mostly these suggestions are only a distraction from the confusion which either returns or become internalised and in turn, more damaging.

I personally feel levels and complexity of depression are rising in pace with modern western life.
The constant media barrage of how we should look, how we should behave, who to admire and who to admonish, etc.

People in the west are being pushed harder and taxed to the point of dispair thru social engineering and cracks are starting to show all over the place.
This seems not to be a problem when the East can provide million upon millions of new customers fresh and keen for the 'lifestyle' game, whereas millions of us in the West are being burnt out, disillusioned and exhausted by years of it, and apparently with no 'settled' end in sight.*

The Western answer to depression?
Therepy eases you back into it all again and meds stop you screaming your face off at human injustices in public.*

You might blur/dull the corners of a square peg but you still won't get it to fit comfortably in a round hole.*

The tdr1nka philosophy is to, no matter what, allow yourself to have a positive dream, no matter how small or seemingly unachievable it might be.

Mine is that I have been encouraging others to improve their health, have fun and save a lot of stress by cycling for all my years in the saddle or that one day, Mrs. tdr1nka & I will escape the Metrolop*ss for good, to our life in the country, having that concerted stab at self sufficiancy that we and so many promise themselves.

*Extracts from D. tdr1nka's 'Guide To Modern Depression: Come On Now, Cheer Up!'.:evil:

Is the book out in the shops? I'll buy it! :smile::biggrin::girl:

yenrod

gezza said:
when i was 26 i was diagnosed with Cancer (testicular) and thought i was going to die !!!! ,the whole family was in shock ,everyone was in shock,i was operated on immaediately,the following day i broke down,which was the best thing to happen to me ,as i then looked on all things in life as positive,i was then given the all clear a few weeks later and started to enjoy life again and now 10 years on ,I have been discharged from my remission for Cancer and will be completing in the Etape 2008 :evil:

That ride should be pretty good !

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Speicher;223917][quote=Melvil said:
Is the book out in the shops? I'll buy it! :biggrin::evil::smile:
/quote]

Tdr1nka, please tell Melvil and I where we can find the complete version of your Book. Makes a lot of sense. :girl:

I shall start work on it right away!
These are just thoughts that have been simmering away in my mind since I had a breakdown 8 years ago.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

So while I compile and write down these thoughts I suggest looking into the work of Richard Bandler who is an exponent of NLP, Nuero Linguistic Programming, I have found him to be a cornacopia of positive thinking.

Keep smiling,

Tx:biggrin:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I may have a certain fear of the potential and highly probable pain associated with death but not death itself...not something I'm concered about
presumably when i'm dead i will be in the same condition i was in the 13.7 billion years before my birth
in permanant unconsciouness 13.7 billion or ~75 years 'feels' exactly the same amount of time
flash of the universe or flash of lightning if it happened once, it can happen again......death itself cannot be experienced only life

(...:evil:.....I could go on for pages)

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
I shall start work on it right away!

Please do, I'll buy it!

Oh, and when you get the whole self suffiency thing going, if you need a serf to help with the pigs and all that, bear me in mind. Been a bit of an unobtainable dream for me too!:evil:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Abitrary said:
That's along the lines of bi-polar, which is a real mental health problem.

I tend that way. I have been diagnosed and treated a couple of times. I don't think there is such a clear division between 'simple depression' and bipolar disorder, and actually bipolar is just a fancy new name for real depression. What we have now just makes people confuse being a bit sad, or having what they used to call in the mediaeval period, a melancholic disposition, with being depressed.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Please do, I'll buy it!

Oh, and when you get the whole self suffiency thing going, if you need a serf to help with the pigs and all that, bear me in mind. Been a bit of an unobtainable dream for me too!;)

I'll have a copy as well, tdr1nka. And count me in for help with the self sufficiency thing too. I've just realised that I know just as many people in County Cork to go for a drink with, as I do where I live.

And death. Hmmm. Been in a few situations where I thought it might happen, and did ponder organising it during a particularly dark time when I was 17, 18 or so. I never would now, but it's left a mark, somewhere down deep. And I've seen the effect that suicide has on those left behind. With one friend in particular, just hearing the description of events, and the feelings afterwards, had me in tears for a good 10 minutes or so, and has me welling up slightly just remembering it.

Religion - I just don't know. I have no real beliefs, but I do like to think there's reason and purpose to all of this. If there is, and we're here to gain experience, achieve Nirvana or act as part of a magnificent Plan, then dying early circumvents that. If there isn't, and this is all there ever will be, all the more reason for not checking out early. I do believe in hope, and optimism, and a brighter future for all of us. I'd hope that anyone on this forum could make a cry for help, and get some advice, some suggestions or just a friendly voice in the darkness.

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
Religion - I just don't know. I have no real beliefs, but I do like to think there's reason and purpose to all of this. If there is, and we're here to gain experience, achieve Nirvana or act as part of a magnificent Plan, then dying early circumvents that. If there isn't, and this is all there ever will be, all the more reason for not checking out early. I do believe in hope, and optimism, and a brighter future for all of us. I'd hope that anyone on this forum could make a cry for help, and get some advice, some suggestions or just a friendly voice in the darkness.

Unless dying 'early' is all part of that plan, of course...

Something I noticed this year, a year in which I've experienced 4 deaths of people of varying closeness (three of them in one week!) is that those left behind do try to find positives. If someone is very ill, it's a merciful release. If very depressed, than it's a release also, or a final 'positive act' in the face of depression. Or if they are old, well, they had a good innings and either they are released from confusion and debility, or they go quickly and having had a full and active life, or whatever.

The worst thing was a friend who lost her father to cancer, and in order to feel better concentrated on various friends who had babies due - the circle of life and all that. When one of them was stillborn, it tore her apart for a while. I've been so lucky to have little Oli to think about. Poor boy, he's overwhelmed with knitted things...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Flying_Monkey said:
I don't think there is such a clear division between 'simple depression' and bipolar disorder, and actually bipolar is just a fancy new name for real depression. What we have now just makes people confuse being a bit sad, or having what they used to call in the mediaeval period, a melancholic disposition, with being depressed.
Bipolar does what it says on the tin, both ends of a pole... ie veering (as in out of control) between depression and mania... two very different states, in one you can do nothing, in the other you are invincible... I used to have the t-shirt ;)

Top Bottom