feel guilty/bad over taking over people on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahpink

as ive been getting faster on the roads have found that occasionly i have had to over take over bike users but i sometimes feel bad in doing so. how can i toughen up lol. does any else feel this way?

DavieB

MIA
It will be a long time before Im overtaking anyone, Ill tell you when it happens and how I felt. (if it happens)

Mike!

Guru
I overtake quite a few and get overtaken myself too.

Neither bothers me but I have to say if I was overtaken by someone giving me a smile and a 'good morning'. I'd think they were taking the piss!

Just get on with your own pace !!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I am distraught if I am overtaken, so don't overtake me!!!!

(But don't worry, I always go as fast as I can, and if you were to overtake me, I'd not be at all upset, I'd just try to catch you again!)

colinr

I aim to overtake every cyclist I see... something to amuse me on the commute :smile:
(well, only the ones going the same way)

Willo

I felt the same, and have done both extremes. A cheery hello to an older guy one Sunday morning and, feeling a little awkward, really put the head down and really powered past on a commute the other morning to get it over and done with quickly. I think on the commute it's the latter, on a Sunday morning I'll exchange pleasantries. Suspect it'll be the other way round mostly for me though so I'll see what others do.

p.s. As an aside, well into a ride y'day I saw 2 guys up ahead on touring bikes and without thought picked up the pace to see if I could catch and pass them. Just as I got close behind them I had a blow out:angry:. Either they had scatter nails on the road, or the fairy was trying to tell me to be more respectful:biggrin:

taxing

When I first started cycling I felt bad when someone had to overtake me because that meant I was being slow and getting in their way, but after about 10 minutes on CycleChat I realised that the lycra warriors love overtaking, so I'm doing them a favour really. :smile:

jimboalee

I only wish there was another cyclist on my commute route for me to ride past.

What I shall have to do is post my Garmin Track if I ever ride along a fellow CC commuter's route.
It would be a 'soft scalp'...:biggrin:;)

nmcgann

Veteran
taxing said:
When I first started cycling I felt bad when someone had to overtake me because that meant I was being slow and getting in their way, but after about 10 minutes on CycleChat I realised that the lycra warriors love overtaking, so I'm doing them a favour really. :biggrin:

Oh yes :biggrin:

I don't commute, but everyone else I see on a bike when I'm out for a training ride is fair game :smile: The more expensive the bike or the faster the rider the more points I give myself.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It depends on what they look like - if they really look as if they are struggling then I don't like to pass them too quickly or looking as if it was too easy ... whereas if they look as if they think they should be in the Tour de France then glide by trying to look completely effortless:biggrin: (note this is never uphill - cos I would be the person being over taken:blush:).

There are so many cyclists everyday on my routes that if I got stressed by being overtaken or overtaking I would be a gibbering wreck on the side of the road.

Top Bottom