Feels like a stigma to what I ride..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Hi I have a road bike and a hybrid bike, most people I see on my rides tend to be on road bikes, I myself ride a road bike most of the time, however I do own a hybrid bike and enjoy riding it and want to ride it more however it feels like theressome sort of stigma is attached to it like being a complete beginner, novice, just an occasional cyclist.

sometimes it just feels nice to be on a flat bar, sit up and have a steady ride.

Also I have noticed other cyclists seem to acknowledge you more when passing on a road bikes but when on a hybrid I think they turn there noses up a bit more and blanc you a bit.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Not in my neck of the woods ^_^ lots of waving between all sorts ebikes, road bikes, hybrids, tourers Occasionally someone doesnt acknowledge but thats normal theres bound to be an unsocial minority but thats ok i'll know not to wave next time.
Im a newbie riding a hybrid and really dont care if someone turns there nose up :laugh: they've just disclosed the fact that they're an idiot!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
roadies not waving

1634406629743.png

I ride a road bike, gravel bike, mountain bike and shopping bike. I have no qualms about riding any of them and particularly like making effusive waves to ‘serious’ cyclists when I’m on my shopper. Especially when I pass them.

Bingo!

classic33

Leg End Member
I think you are suffering from some form of inner conflict. The majority of my many bikes are essentially hybrids, built/adapted for various sorts of riding. I've never noticed anyone looking down on them or me because I'm on one.
You want to try a recumbent, then they'd be looking down at you.

As for the point raised in the first post, ride what you want, they're your bikes.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hi I have a road bike and a hybrid bike, most people I see on my rides tend to be on road bikes, I myself ride a road bike most of the time, however I do own a hybrid bike and enjoy riding it and want to ride it more however it feels like theressome sort of stigma is attached to it like being a complete beginner, novice, just an occasional cyclist.

sometimes it just feels nice to be on a flat bar, sit up and have a steady ride.

Also I have noticed other cyclists seem to acknowledge you more when passing on a road bikes but when on a hybrid I think they turn there noses up a bit more and blanc you a bit.
I've notice similar too when I ride my 1980's hybrid, which BTW also has toe clips, rather than my road bike. But quite frankly I couldn't give a toss. My bike, my ride.

IF this is so (that cyclists are equipment snobs and don't speak to those they perceive as lower on the equipment ladder) how is it that - on a folding low step-through festooned with my weeks shopping from Lidl or Aldi in baskets attached all over the bike - I am chatted to by cyclists of all persuasions when manouevring the thing through the chicanes and obstacles which decorate my route to the discount supermarket of choice?
My steady, not to say stately, progress along the canal towpath was regularly interrupted in the summer by young blokes on mountain bikes with all the gear, wanting desperately to know what access points I use (because I know ways through and up and around that they don't, being a reader of OS maps as well as all the others - and they rely on google) at certain locations, and I've been stopped at a cyclist road crossing by a passing, very techy, cyclist who wanted to know something specific about my hub gearing which I couldn't answer - I didn't even understand his question!

I am relieved when there's just a passing nod or spoken acknowledgement!

Top Bottom