Female Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP rides more than I do, rides further, ( recently from Paris to home on her own no support, with a barely healed broken foot), maintains her own bike ( rebuilt it recently) and enjoys riding more than me.

Women have been riding bikes ever since they were invented and probably helped in their emancipation, too bloody right as well.

There’s nothing unusual about women riding bikes.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My better half has taken command of my Brompton, and now rides to work every day. It's only 1.5 miles each way, but already the car is always 2nd choice unless it's raining.
Certainly since Christmas I've noticed more female riders locally. There is always a hardened 'shopping' group who I recognise on my utility rides, but the lycra clad numbers also seem to be going up.

Julia9054

Guru
I often amuse myself on the morning commute by counting numbers of men and women on bikes. It is generally around 2/3s men to 1/3 women. However the small sample size of only around 12 other cyclists per day maximum (down to about 4 in the winter) makes the sample size too small to be statistically significant .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP rides more than I do, rides further, ( recently from Paris to home on her own no support, with a barely healed broken foot), maintains her own bike ( rebuilt it recently) and enjoys riding more than me.

Women have been riding bikes ever since they were invented and probably helped in their emancipation, too bloody right as well.

If she ever gets fed up of you can you introduce us?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A freind of mine down Devon way runs courses and group outings specifically for women, to get them into, or back into cycling, particularly more off road type stuff.

It's been quite popular and successful.

I guess the problem is though, that she repeatedly does herself out of a job.

As soon as she's done good work on building their confidence, they're off doing it all independently.

It's a shame some women feel they have to stop cycling, or get less time to do it, once they have kids, or whatever.

Some of them need to get better at ring fencing that 'me time' maybe?

Or perhaps their blokes need to get better at stepping up to the childcare plate ?

winjim

Smash the cistern

I think the most vicious thing I ever saw in all my life is a woman on a bicycle.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/should-women-be-allowed-to-cycle-in-public.232746/#post-5212003

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's a shame some women feel they have to stop cycling, or get less time to do it, once they have kids, or whatever.
In my area the problem is the infrastructure: there are none safe for the kids.
To reach a safe place for kids to cycle along it takes the faff to load bikes in cars, or on trains. Of course, if it's not safe, one wouldn't use a child's seat or tag-along either.
There's also the fact that bike accessories like that are expensive.
I was just talking about this topic with a woman that came on today's ride, her kids are at the age that they don't want to cycle anymore, too young to be left alone though, so for her to be out she need hubby or a relative to be in.

Id guess that on my commute 15miles to Cambridge men out number women at least 5 to 1 as you get closer to Cambridge numbers do start to creep up but they are not significant until I'm off the busway and into central Cambridge then there's 33% + (the vast number of cyclist may make it seem more however :-/

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In my area the problem is the infrastructure: there are none safe for the kids.
To reach a safe place for kids to cycle along
Which suggests you think that the only women to address are those with children.

That's an important sub-demographic, but it is only one.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
[QUOTE 5500807, member: 9609"]I have only seen two other cyclists this year and one was a woman - so I guess that makes it a third here.[/QUOTE]

Either you've not been out much, or you live somewhere very remote :eek:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Here when I ride into student-land (the west end) I see a remarkable difference in cycling demographics.
It goes like this:
from my location, the outskirts, riding into town, I see regularly 3 women, obviously commuting to work, a dozen men.
We have non existing segregated facilities.
This is remarkable in itself, because when I started, in 2011, it was rare seeing even a couple of men riding to/from town.
3 miles in, almost in the city centre, the men are only slightly more at rush hours, I guess they ride to/from the south side (I ride from the east end).
The south side has an ever expanding network of segregated facilities, traffic calmed roads, bus lanes.
Now, in the west end, student land as I said, where all cycling routes ultimately meet, there are plenty of cyclists any time of the day, women in equal amount, maybe even more, than men.

Top Bottom