Festive Fare: what are your Christmas "must haves"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Yes of course there are, and I shall enjoy them - but there seems to be such emphasis round here on, and a desire for, the 'traditional' meal - and such surprise when I very mildly say something on the lines of 'thank you for the invitation but I'm vegetarian ...' (I don't get into the 'ins and outs' of my dietary choices unless people are actually interested, and usually they aren't in the least) that the conversation often stops right there only to be raised again later, without any suggestion of veggie food being provided but just to ask me if I'm sure I don't want to come and enjoy 'everything else'. But what would there be for me to enjoy when the meal is the main focus of the celebrations, and most of it is distasteful to me?

Only if it's a restaurant group booking has the possibility of a vegetarian meal been mentioned - and to tell the truth, I've had some absolute crackers in previous years. I mean really gorgeous, tasty things, in quite mundane, unadventurous-looking restaurants! There is a strong culture round here of Local and Lancashire wrt food, which runs alongside the traditional, and this should - and can, in the right hands - lead to delicious fusion-type dishes.

Mmmm, it's kind of funny really, because the "traditional" Christmas dinner is effectively a Victorian invention, so in the scheme of things, it's not been around for that long. before, it used to be beef if you could afford it, or goose if you couldn't. But IMHO a celebration dinner should be whatever you choose it to be. I'm not a terribly big fan of turkey - of course, it USED to be expensive, but now, it's a good way of feeding a lot of people reasonably cheaply, and of course it looks impressive on the table.

I'll agree that there's some absolutely belting veggie and vegan food out there. If I go out for a group meal, or if a meal is provided at a cat show (as a judge and steward, I get my lunch provided) I tend to plump for the veggie option.

P.S. Shame you're so far away ;)

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
When I was a child, i had some xmas pudding I thought it would be like a chocolate pudding. So I took a mouthfull with brandy sauce and gagged. I cant stand dried fruits at all, none of it. I dont know how people can eat dried fruit I think it tastes horrible.

Can I have your share, please! :hungry:

When I was a child, i had some xmas pudding I thought it would be like a chocolate pudding. So I took a mouthfull with brandy sauce and gagged. I cant stand dried fruits at all, none of it. I dont know how people can eat dried fruit I think it tastes horrible.

It's only dried vine fruits which evoke this reaction with me. Loathsome! One single sultana can ruin a dish for me. I can taste it from a mile off, and if it gets into my mouth ... obviously over the years I've learnt how to 'get rid of it' politely but it's always a horrible thing to have to do in company.

Dried apricots, apples, figs, prunes etc - even cranberries - are delicious, though.

This Christmas, as last year, I’ll be on my own and, tbh, I prefer it that way, at least here in Norway: no fuss, no hassle, no expectations.
And like last Christmas, I’ll be having more or less a full Christmas dinner with the exclusion of meat (been a vegetarian 4-5 years).
So, parsnips, Brussels, (sweet) potatoes, gravy, bread sauce, stuffing, pudding, cake and mince pies (which I managed to get at an Iceland shop here).
Scandinavians celebrate their main day on the 24th, so I’ll ‘celebrate’ then and on the 25th.
I don’t know what to buy present-wise and it’s a bit hard trying to surprise myself, so maybe I’ll just wait until I get to India in the New Year.

Jameshow

Veteran
This Christmas, as last year, I’ll be on my own and, tbh, I prefer it that way, at least here in Norway: no fuss, no hassle, no expectations.
And like last Christmas, I’ll be having more or less a full Christmas dinner with the exclusion of meat (been a vegetarian 4-5 years).
So, parsnips, Brussels, (sweet) potatoes, gravy, bread sauce, stuffing, pudding, cake and mince pies (which I managed to get at an Iceland shop here).
Scandinavians celebrate their main day on the 24th, so I’ll ‘celebrate’ then and on the 25th.
I don’t know what to buy present-wise and it’s a bit hard trying to surprise myself, so maybe I’ll just wait until I get to India in the New Year.

Why does Europe celebrate on the 24th???

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Why does Europe celebrate on the 24th???

Not all of Europe, but certainly parts of northern and eastern Europe. The 24th is the last day of Advent, and in Polish, we call it Wigilia. Which literally translates as "vigil" - as a kid I remember the meal and then the opening of presents and then heading off to the "Pasterka" service at a nearby church.

I'm not religious, so really can't explain it any better... :blush:

Our main "tradition" is ham, egg and chips on Xmas Eve. Keep the rest of the ham to eat cold on Boxing Day with salad and mashed potato.

Christmas Day lunch will be turkey and the usual veggies, plus sprouts, which our daughter is in charge of cooking as she is the one who is fanatical about them.....

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I sometimes do a Turkey Crown on Boxing day for my cats. I've had some £40.00 ones for £8.00 from Sainsburys on Boxing day. But you have to be first in as the doors open.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Mmmm, it's kind of funny really, because the "traditional" Christmas dinner is effectively a Victorian invention, so in the scheme of things, it's not been around for that long. before, it used to be beef if you could afford it, or goose if you couldn't. But IMHO a celebration dinner should be whatever you choose it to be. I'm not a terribly big fan of turkey - of course, it USED to be expensive, but now, it's a good way of feeding a lot of people reasonably cheaply, and of course it looks impressive on the table.

I'll agree that there's some absolutely belting veggie and vegan food out there. If I go out for a group meal, or if a meal is provided at a cat show (as a judge and steward, I get my lunch provided) I tend to plump for the veggie option.

P.S. Shame you're so far away ;)

I was very much tempted by the vegetarian main course option at the office Christmas party. Root Vegetable Wellington sounded interesting, yummy, and something I might be able to cook my wife on Christmas Day. And I always like to confuse people by having a meat-based starter and a vegetarian main course.

However the filling was butternut squash. Hence an immediate boycott and much rabid rambling. Went for traditional turkey instead.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I was very much tempted by the vegetarian main course option at the office Christmas party. Root Vegetable Wellington sounded interesting, yummy, and something I might be able to cook my wife on Christmas Day. And I always like to confuse people by having a meat-based starter and a vegetarian main course.

However the filling was butternut squash. Hence an immediate boycott and much rabid rambling. Went for traditional turkey instead.

Last I looked, a butternut squash wasn't a root vegetable... :scratch:

Top Bottom