Festive Fare: what are your Christmas "must haves"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
Can't do without rum butter.

Either for breakfast on toast (fumes are fantastic) or as a sandwich any time over the Christmas period.

It is a nostalgic thing for me as both my grandmas used to make it for the family every year

I usually get thought a couple of bowls every Christmas

Jameshow

Veteran
Can't do without rum butter.

Either for breakfast on toast (fumes are fantastic) or as a sandwich any time over the Christmas period.

It is a nostalgic thing for me as both my grandmas used to make it for the family every year

I usually get thought a couple of bowls every Christmas

Sister makes brandy butter which we have to take..

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I might go back next week and have that meal again.
It's a pity they're not licensed, it'd be even nicer with a glass of something lightly alcoholicy - whatever your fave is, a beer or wine. YVMV,of course.
Can't be arsed doing a really nice (like this one) rainbow salad just for myself - salad isn't noted for its 'keeping' properties - but the baked spud with prawns and smoked salmon is easy enough and might be what I'll eat on NYD.

Mmmm, a nice :cuppa: for me with just about everything - I'm teetotal. :angel:

Waffles on NYD here - mum's Belgian and it's tradition. Not that I'm complaining about that, especially if I do a bitter chocolate sauce (the same one that gets used for profiteroles) to pour over them... :hungry:

Mmmm, a nice :cuppa: for me with just about everything - I'm teetotal. :angel:

Waffles on NYD here - mum's Belgian and it's tradition. Not that I'm complaining about that, especially if I do a bitter chocolate sauce (the same one that gets used for profiteroles) to pour over them... :hungry:

I don't do tea - but I do like a good coffee.
However a local co-operatively run cafe now does hot mulled local apple juice - which is simply delicious; not too sweet and not too sour, warming, tasty and of course non-alcoholic. Even nicer than mulled cider as of course anyone can drink as much of it as they like - YUM!

Julia9054

Guru
Cheese!
Just had the most wholesome present from a student ever.
Unpasteurised Wensleydale cheese from her parents' farm
Eaten for breakfast this morning on a freshly baked, warm spelt roll.
Celebrating the start of the school hols
20221217_095929.jpg

Cheese!
Just had the most wholesome present from a student ever.
Unpasteurised Wensleydale cheese from her parents' farm
Eaten for breakfast this morning on a freshly baked, warm spelt roll.
Celebrating the start of the school hols
View attachment 671478

No fan of christmas cake generally .... but take the icing off and wack some nice wensleydale on top, now we're talking :okay:

yello

As mentioned in another thread; panettone, bubbly, our dog and a Christmas morning walk.

Then we prepare whatever we've decided is on our menu, with yet more bubbly, listening to Christmas tunes of different bents. 15 years odd (sometimes very odd) now and no hint of staleness. There's variation in that theme but the base notes stay the same.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A large bottle of Fairy Liquid. If you want to feel all saintly (and spend a MWh of energy on hot water while you chase turkey fat round the roasting pan until the early hours of Boxing Day ), by all means use some entirely useless product like Ecover or it's many ghastly clones.

I'll cheat. Cheers.:cheers:

Top Bottom