Festive Fare: what are your Christmas "must haves"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I picked up a giant tomahawk steak (basically one bone's worth of beef rib joint) on yellow sticker yesterday for a fiver, so will be having that. It'll do the two of us for a couple of days and still have some left over for sandwiches. :hungry:

I picked up a giant tomahawk steak (basically one bone's worth of beef rib joint) on yellow sticker yesterday for a fiver, so will be having that. It'll do the two of us for a couple of days and still have some left over for sandwiches. :hungry:

bargain! here it is at my local Tomahawk Steakhouse restaurant ... :ohmy:
1671478154150.png

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
bargain! here it is at my local Tomahawk Steakhouse restaurant ... :ohmy:
View attachment 671749

Erk!!! :ohmy:

Admittedly the above is cooked for you, and you get the assorted trimmings as well... Full price on the same (uncooked) thing in Tesco was a gnat's todger under £25. Was one and a quarter kilos, so much of a muchness.

It's actually a very versatile cut though - it's also lovely slow-cooked, braised in beer. :hungry:

Erk!!! :ohmy:

Admittedly the above is cooked for you, and you get the assorted trimmings as well... Full price on the same (uncooked) thing in Tesco was a gnat's todger under £25. Was one and a quarter kilos, so much of a muchness.

It's actually a very versatile cut though - it's also lovely slow-cooked, braised in beer. :hungry:

had one in Florence once and it was fab .... really garlicky and with a lovely bottle of red. cost a few lire mind.

FAIRY LIQUID!!!!

what - do it properly and get a dishwasher - proper cheating!!!

icowden

Veteran
We shall be doing the usual. My family is either veggie or frankly unadventurous.
Christmas day will be Turkey crown, Gammon and Pork with all the trimmings (nut roast for the veggies). Boxing day is cold cuts. Day after that is the best one - Turkey, Pork and Gammon PIE DAY.

I'm always difficult. I don't like sprouts, but the Mother in Law will as usual try to make me eat one despite the fact that I am 48 years old. The meat will be cold and probably dry - they don't want to get food poisoning from that Turkey and Pork!. I don't have gravy, so my meat will need to be microwaved to bring it back to life a bit.

Personally I'd like to go Goose one year or Venison, or a 7 bird roast. Not going to happen though unless we go away somewhere for Christmas one day...

Again, can't stand Christmas Cake and Christmas Pud, but we usually have something nice and chocolatey from M&S.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Pigs in Blankets... but i'm a fussy bugger and won't buy them ready rolled.

The sausages must be tossed around a hot frying pan before the bacon goes around them... thus cooking the skin and creating a far superior PIB.:okay:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
We shall be doing the usual. My family is either veggie or frankly unadventurous.
Christmas day will be Turkey crown, Gammon and Pork with all the trimmings (nut roast for the veggies). Boxing day is cold cuts. Day after that is the best one - Turkey, Pork and Gammon PIE DAY.

I'm always difficult. I don't like sprouts, but the Mother in Law will as usual try to make me eat one despite the fact that I am 48 years old. The meat will be cold and probably dry - they don't want to get food poisoning from that Turkey and Pork!. I don't have gravy, so my meat will need to be microwaved to bring it back to life a bit.

Personally I'd like to go Goose one year or Venison, or a 7 bird roast. Not going to happen though unless we go away somewhere for Christmas one day...

Again, can't stand Christmas Cake and Christmas Pud, but we usually have something nice and chocolatey from M&S.

Roasting bags are your friend, here xxx ;) Sit the pork in the bag on a bed of thickly sliced onions and some apple wedges, along with sage, pepper and a bay leaf. 20 mins per 500g plus 20 mins at 180C fan. You won't get crackling, but the meat essentially becomes self-basting. And the cooking juices do make a lovely gravy.

The Hairy Bikers do this lovely stuffed turkey breast wrapped in bacon. Again, with the sausage meat inside and the streaky outside, the meat won't dry out. I tend to braise in the crock pot, and then finish it off in a hot oven to crisp up the bacon.

I do like the sound of the pie, though... :hungry:

icowden

Veteran
Roasting bags are your friend, here xxx ;) Sit the pork in the bag on a bed of thickly sliced onions and some apple wedges, along with sage, pepper and a bay leaf. 20 mins per 500g plus 20 mins at 180C fan. You won't get crackling, but the meat essentially becomes self-basting. And the cooking juices do make a lovely gravy.

I do like the sound of the pie, though... :hungry:
I don't have to do the cooking ^_^
Pie day is the best day...

Top Bottom