Festive Fare: what are your Christmas "must haves"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Enough whiskey, brandy and port to make me oblivious to get me through a family Christmas.

I'll second that. Only eight this xmas at chez Fondo, it was 17 a few years back. Bloody nightmare, ho ho ho :santa:

Julia9054

Guru
We do a Christmas Eve curry and barrel of beer for all the clapped out local musicians who are sick of playing/singing carols.
The beer goes down rather faster than it used to as all the little trebles from the church choir are now in their mid twenties to early thirties!
Covid rather killed off the tradition and we have much reduced numbers this year. Bit sad but things change, I guess.

Jameshow

Veteran
Not all of Europe, but certainly parts of northern and eastern Europe. The 24th is the last day of Advent, and in Polish, we call it Wigilia. Which literally translates as "vigil" - as a kid I remember the meal and then the opening of presents and then heading off to the "Pasterka" service at a nearby church.

I'm not religious, so really can't explain it any better... :blush:

Spain too!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Queens speech :cheers:

You're going to be disappointed....

Not sure how and why but food types over the years morphed in bits and pieces. Smoked salmon, oysters and prawns. Brussels sprouts and asparagus in the veg category. It Just seems family and guests are happy with these. We never asked them why but go for it rather quickly.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I always seem to end up doing green beans and braised red cabbage when it comes to the veggies. Mainly cos that'll go with just about anything and not that much in the way of faff. Until Covid hit, I used to pick up something on YS on Christmas Eve for the next day - but always having something in reserve in the freezer. Going to probably resume that tradition this year.

This year's freezer options are beef and duck.

Mmmm, prawn cocktail seems to have this habit of sneaking into the festivities. :hungry:

I might go back next week and have that meal again.
It's a pity they're not licensed, it'd be even nicer with a glass of something lightly alcoholicy - whatever your fave is, a beer or wine. YVMV,of course.
Can't be arsed doing a really nice (like this one) rainbow salad just for myself - salad isn't noted for its 'keeping' properties - but the baked spud with prawns and smoked salmon is easy enough and might be what I'll eat on NYD.

Top Bottom