Finally Took the plunge on a Fratello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm now seriously once again considering buying that Fratello frame, in Green.
I was looking at a Planet X Ti frame, it was priced at £987 for months, today, the cost his risen by over £300, so stuff that.

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

I'm now seriously once again considering buying that Fratello frame, in Green.
I was looking at a Planet X Ti frame, it was priced at £987 for months, today, the cost his risen by over £300, so stuff that.

In the flesh the frame is really nice. The welds are so so smooth and even and the paint finish oozes quality. Just looking at it you can see that it's a quality piece. It's light too, just the frame with no fork etc. I compared to some other mass produced steel frames and you can see the difference. I really like the Condor headstock badge too :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the flesh the frame is really nice. The welds are so so smooth and even and the paint finish oozes quality. Just looking at it you can see that it's a quality piece. It's light too, just the frame with no fork etc. I compared to some other mass produced steel frames and you can see the difference. I really like the Condor headstock badge too :rolleyes:

A chap I see regularly on my daily commute has the Blue one. Very smart indeed.

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

A chap I see regularly on my daily commute has the Blue one. Very smart indeed.

The blue frame was in the shop too, it looks almost purple when the light catches it, really smart. I only opted for green because it's not seen as much, lookes a touch classic and I couldn't afford to justify £150 extra for a custom paint job. I would be more than happy with the blue or the green.

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

It looks nice with white bar tape and the tan brown but white gets dirty quick, the wife commented that brown was too old man :sad: so I played safe with 2.5mm lizard skin black bar tape and a mixture of deda 100 finishing kit and condors own kit. I think black will look right. Saddle choice I could not decide so just picked a charge spoon and the shop are offering prologo saddles or I could opt for a brooks saddle. No experience of either so it's research time

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

i have their tempo -same bike ss fratello built as a fixie. Still delighted 15000m later

Oh that's excellent to hear. Looking like I made the best if slightly more expensive decision. The excitement keeps building. Hopefully 15,000 miles in I'm still smiling too:okay:

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

Any thoughts from those in the know regarding frame size. The build is around a 55 frame but I could easily ride the 58 from Condor.
The shops advise was as follows:

The 55 frame allows us to build the bike with a longer stem which makes for a better handling bike, especially on descents and in cross winds. You do have a little more drop from saddle to bars that way but you are a young and fit rider so I think it will work. I think you will work well on a 55.

Excuse my ignorance but does that all make sense and is the 55 frame the way to go ? I usually ride a 56 frame which is similar to Condors 55, mid size frame.

Mrs M

Guru
That's lovely :wub:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Basically, the fitter is saying that if you choose a frame with a 2cm shorter top tube, you can compensate by fitting a 2cm longer stem. I like a longer stem. It might feel a little different to what you're used to but you'll get used to it very quickly.

You've had a bike fitting with them so they're not just guessing here, they're going by your numbers. Personally, I would trust their experience.

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

Basically, the fitter is saying that if you choose a frame with a 2cm shorter top tube, you can compensate by fitting a 2cm longer stem. I like a longer stem. It might feel a little different to what you're used to but you'll get used to it very quickly.

You've had a bike fitting with them so they're not just guessing here, they're going by your numbers. Personally, I would trust their experience.

Thanks smutchin. They went on my size, height, torso etc and summised the 55 would be best and they can then set everything when the bike/frame arrives and do the full bike fit then. I think your 100 % right I should trust their experience.
Thank you for the reassurance

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I took a trip to london to sit on their fit-o-tron adjustable frame sizing rig, then they sized the frame and fitings from that. Picked up the built bike a few weeks later and rode it back from their shop in Clerkenwell to my car parked in west london. I think I lowered the handlebars by 5mm a year later and aprr from that it's spot on. Worth making a trip to Condor's shop given a fratello must be over £2k now.

Ps do get mudguards else you'll get a wet arse

vickster

Legendary Member
I took a trip to london to sit on their fit-o-tron adjustable frame sizing rig, then they sized the frame and fitings from that. Picked up the built bike a few weeks later and rode it back from their shop in Clerkenwell to my car parked in west london. I think I lowered the handlebars by 5mm a year later and aprr from that it's spot on. Worth making a trip to Condor's shop given a fratello must be over £2k now.

He did go to a Condor retailer, just one in Clitheroe :smile:

OP
OP
Triple3

Triple3

The shop did not do a bike fit on a jig, they just specced the 55 frame on experience and are asking condor to leave things like steering stem long so they can do a bike fit and set everything on the frame. I was just wondering if there was any advantages in taking a slightly larger frame.
I use mudguards on my other bike and will fit to this, its just I can get them cheaper and the shop can do them cheaper than condor.

Good afternoon all
I finally took the plunge and after starting the odd thread regarding equilibriums and other road bikes I have finally paid the deposit on a Condor Fratello disc in green like the one below without mudguards.
View attachment 151298
The Fell bike shop in Clitheroe are first class and went through the whole build and had frames in store to look at. Bike fit included and if your local or in the area just check out the shop its pretty special with and endless pool for triathlon lovers.
The frame welds where something else on the Fratello and the paint is much nicer in the flesh with metallic sparkles in the white.
Big thank you to @vickster for giving me the heads up on Condor dealer local to me otherwise I would never have known :okay:
i can confirm that it is a very good shop. Much of it not my type of stuff but good nevertheless.

Top Bottom