First 100 miler on Saturday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
100 miles over what sort of terrain? Flat, undulating or something akin to the Fred Whitton Challenge in the Lakes? The amount of climbing, steepness and frequency adds a whole new dimension of fear riding 100 miles. If it is flat the wind can equally be a killer if it is a head wind, and raining and cold.
About 6,200 feet on climbing. But I'm from Wales, so I'm good at climbing.

Alan O

Über Member
Attempting my first 100 miler on Saturday, at a sportive. Feel like a child at christmas. Hopefully the injuries I've had this year will be kept at bay and hopefully I've done enough training. I've covered 2,500 miles so far this year including 3 x 100 km rides and 3 x 80 km rides.
If it's any use as a comparison, I'm attempting my first 100 miler of 2018 in a few weeks, and it's the same route as the only 100 miler I did in 2017. So far this year I've ridden a mere 1,080 miles, a good bit less than half your total. I've done 4 x 100km rides, but only 1 x 80km on top of that.

Last year I'd done a lot less distance, with no 100km or 80km rides, but I still managed to finish the 100 miles - though in a bit of pain by the end.

Having done it once with inadequate preparation, I'm quite confident that my fitness is good enough to do it again this year without the pain (though being careful not to tempt fate over the multitude of other things that can go wrong, I'm not going to predict actually finishing it until it's done).

With the preparation you've done, I've no doubt you'll be fit enough. And the psychological boost you get from being in a crowd of riders makes a significant difference - I was amazed how easily the first 25 miles went last year.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Nearly 2,000m that's quite lumpy in my (soft Londoner's) book.

Anyway, enjoy it. Double, treble check your preparations beforehand and make sure you've remembered everything. Drink plenty, nibble regularly, and have fun.
Well I did a sportive last year that was 70 miles with 6700 feet of climbing, so there will be less climbing over a longer distance so hopefully it will feel easier.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Enjoy the ride, it sounds like you have plenty in your legs. If you can ride 70 very lumpy miles you will be fine. I will echo all the advise above - Start easy, eat and drink regularly and if it was me - definitely stop for coffee and cake after 50 !

Have a great day, tells us how you get on.

Siclo

Veteran
I was left with the old cannonball and every time I stood up on the pedals on the middle of the cassette, it seemed to ride up as if undecided what gear it wanted to be in, so probably a new chain and maybe cassette needed there.

Are you sure it's not autoshifting?. Check the cable guide before spending on new bits.

Enjoy your century @Welsh wheels

Top Bottom