First accident last night, please tell me I am not the first to do this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mmm, whilst I recounted my pitiful track stand attempt upthread there was also the river incident.

My ex and I were on a ride in the cotswolds on an idyllic road by a small river when my mrs stopped slightly unexpectedly. Whilst we were going slow I didn't quite unclip and slowly tumbled in. Subsequent attempts to persuade her of the benefits of clipless were met with derision

Oh yeah, I've not had a clipless moment yet
Oh dear, you've just jinxed yourself. What next? "I've not had a p******e for a while"?

We've all done it

I've used SPDs since about 1991 (& still have a couple of pairs, in the shed, from back then)

You'll think you're used to them
Then, after a couple of weeks of perfect de-clipping, & you think your brain has 'hard-wired' itself, a situation will arise where you have to stop/put a foot down rapidly
Then you'll go over again...…………….

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Used to do it regular pulling up the garden path at my folks. Also did it at the front of a traffic queue, and again when a loop of wire flipped up, hooked round my shoe, which was then pinned down by my rear wheel. That took some getting out of. I've also had times where it was easier to unstrap my shoe and pull my foot out than get the cleat free (strong springs on Look Delta pedals)

bladderhead

I was on a forest trail along the side of a steep forested valley on my Marin Muirwoods, which was a week old. For some reason I did a wobble. I put my hand on the wooden fence. Fence gave way. Down I slid, towards the stream. I do not remember extricating myself from the bike, but I ended up with one hand holding the trunk of a sapling and the other holding the crossbar. Steep slope, almost a cliff, me with my arms stretched out like Jesus. With my long messy hair and beard I looked a bit like him anyway. I really did not want to let go of the tree. I thought I was going to have to let go of the bike, and I would never have been able to retrieve it. I thought "I'm buggered if I am walking back!". How I got myself and the bike back up that slope I do not know.

Rowano

This is my new favourite video. I've just come back today to watch it again and I'm still helpless. I'm not normally one to laugh at others' misfortunes...but this just cracks me up:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We need a new emoji in your honour!

betty swollocks

large member
I did in in the middle of Paddington Station.
Tried to unclip and unbeknown to me, one of the two (SPD) cleat bolts had fallen out, so the cleat just swivelled. I thought for an instant, a hopelessly optimistic instant, that I might come out of this with dignity, but it was a fleeting one before the inevitable happened, and over I toppled. SPLAT! - down I went, surrounded by amused and curious onlookers.
I writhed on the cold tiles with bike on top of me, desperately hoping to a) disengage my right foot and b) that the ground would open up, but in the end had to take said foot out of the shoe, which was still dangling in the pedal.

Last edited:

kapelmuur

Veteran
I had several embarrassing incidents when I first started which was in spring 2012. Later that year, after the Tour de France and during the London Olympics we were holidaying in France and I bought myself a Union Jack jersey in order to wind up the French about the Wiggins victory.

I always unclip my left foot and on an early ride in France I came to a junction beside a cafe with locals filling the pavement tables. I unclipped the left foot as usual, but being on the right hand side of the road the road cambered steeply to the right and I toppled to my right in slow motion with the right foot firmly clipped in.

All this while wearing a Union Jack jersey to the huge amusement of the locals.

“C’est ne pas Wiggins” was the kindest comment I heard.

Top Bottom