First bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
it was 1967...it was xmas...and both me and my sister were waiting for new bikes...a dawes kingpin...in blue. I loved it I was over the moon and me and my trusty kingpin spent many happy hours roaming the back roads of Northern Ireland (ah the days when kids were allowed out on their own for hours...and hours) here is a pic still makes me smile when I think of it complete with transfers and a matching set of white panniers on the back (used to go to the shops for my mum and those panniers came back loaded...)
kingpin_zps0uddv7gu.jpg

Katherine

Guru
it was 1967...it was xmas...and both me and my sister were waiting for new bikes...a dawes kingpin...in blue. I loved it I was over the moon and me and my trusty kingpin spent many happy hours roaming the back roads of Northern Ireland (ah the days when kids were allowed out on their own for hours...and hours) here is a pic still makes me smile when I think of it complete with transfers and a matching set of white panniers on the back (used to go to the shops for my mum and those panniers came back loaded...)
kingpin_zps0uddv7gu.jpg
I loved the purple and green kingpin I had in in the early seventies which my sister acquired when I outgrew it. I still have the bike that replaced it that I got for my 14th birthday.
Every kid should have those many happy hours on their bike to look back on.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Ahhh, my first proper bike was a brown-gold Kalkhoff Rodeo with 3 speed SA gears.. loved that.

Sadly I have no pictures of it at all, can't even find a Google pic of it :sad:

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
This post has made me smile. ^_^ . Thanks.
I love going out with my oldest daughter (she is 10) on the bikes to the local park but not sure how long she will love it going forwards. It's a good job I have a two year old to come through the ranks ! :laugh:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Something like this was what I had...a many down the line hand me down...from a friend of the family...
chuck1.jpg

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
In fairness I had neither , parents couldn't afford them but one of my mates had the Chopper and then the Grifter. . . . . . Jammy git ! :laugh:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The chopper was the biggest brother in the Chipper, Budgie, Tommahawk range. The grifter looked like a fat BMX and weighed as much as your average car loaded with elephants and housebricks. My brother had one and hated it, I had a purple Puch, that would be called a hybrid now but was just a bike back then.

First bike was a little red and white universal, first one with drop bars and derailleur gears was a Raleigh/Elswick?? Whirlwind that was the same as the one in the pic. 1970s Cambridgeshire, always sunny and flat as a pancake.

Attachments

• elswick whirlwind.jpg
    elswick whirlwind.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 157

Rafferty

My first proper 2 wheeler was a French bike, I can't remember the make, bought from a market in East London. It had strange 22" tyres that had to be ordered as no local shops stocked them.

Top Bottom