First commute by bike in a couple of weeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Unlike the London guys, it does take a little longer for me to bike it. Not so much the journey itself, but when you add in the changing etc.

So I've had a couple of weeks where leaving 10-15 mins closer to our lasses pedestrian school run has been advantageous to a smooth home life.

Anyway, I knew when I walked the dog it was going to be a bit nippier. Within a few seconds I was grateful for the Buff on the head and wondering how this was going to affect the commute.

So, in comparison to the last commute, when I got on the bike I was still in bib shorts, but the tops long sleeved. 1st mile I'd got the buff on under the helmet and its the first winter ride with the lights on. Spare batteries duly packed, just in case and wearing my new Decathlon dayglo/reflective gilet.

The ride itself was generally uneventful. I think I'm starting to get immune to a certain level of close passes from council wagons, First Bus drivers and the usual school runners.... Apart from one woman in a microcar, that thought a close pass within 50 yards of a red light was an OK manoeuvre. Maybe not a good move, but I noticed she'd left 6' infront of her, before the stop line. Guess where I positioned myself.....

But before I'd got to work, I've found my new 'worst driver on the road' category.

Wagons with foreign plates

One close pass, on a dual carriageway, with nothing in the outside lane. Had his indicators on, but didn't move out!?

Same again, but this guy, 300 yards on, gets to a point where a 3rd lane appears in the RHS. A filter lane for traffic crossing into a side road. That lanes light controlled. The lights on red. This guy stops at the lights and waits, even after half a dozen vehicles that had been behind him move into the RH lane and pass.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Wagons with foreign plates

These have to be the most dangerous vehicles you can encounter.

When I see one of these on my commute I will just hold back for as long as it takes to clear my path.

Driving such a large vehicle on London roads is difficult enough, let alone with a steering wheel on the wrong side.

Top Bottom