First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Was contemplating options like this a while back, but mileage on electric seemed so low as to be not worthwhile - 30 miles runs a bell. What's the electric mileage these days? Our car may need replacement before too long...
A large PHEV (like Audi Q5, Mercedes GEC) will do around 40 miles on battery only depending on how it is driven. It does force a compromise on boot space however as the batteries have to go somewhere. Having said that, these two vehicles have boots around 90% of the Nissan Qashqai for example.
We don't do too many journeys of more than 40 miles so practically speaking, it's an electric vehicle for us. Going for PHEV does two things:
1. Much bigger choice of vehicles
2. Gets around the issues of recharging on the occasional long distance journeys we do

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My next car will probably be a planet burner, and I'll keep it. 3.7 V6 VVTL - makes a nice noise with 300 bhp, or a slightly faster 3.5 V6 with a hybrid battery giving 400 bhp (Nissans). Cost will be less than £15k (used). I'd never splurge £30k plus on electric - it needs to come down in price. 2 seats or 4 is the question.

I'll be doing low miles as I do anyway.
Wasn’t even considering an EV for my next car , more a another V6 RRS or a V8 FFRR . Big diesels or petrol engines are not going anywhere and they are not going to tax the hell out of the fuel either. As there will be a huge kick back on that. If it’s hybrid then I’ll probably go for that.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A large PHEV (like Audi Q5, Mercedes GEC) will do around 40 miles on battery only depending on how it is driven. It does force a compromise on boot space however as the batteries have to go somewhere. Having said that, these two vehicles have boots around 90% of the Nissan Qashqai for example.
We don't do too many journeys of more than 40 miles so practically speaking, it's an electric vehicle for us. Going for PHEV does two things:
1. Much bigger choice of vehicles
2. Gets around the issues of recharging on the occasional long distance journeys we do
If the Q5 is anything like my Golf and I would expect it to be given it is ultimately from the same company, for journeys longer than the anticipated battery mileage, you put the car into hybrid mode and let the computer do the management. - The default is battery power.
The battery will also charge on longer journeys, (separate from active engine charging), using power from the engine which isn't needed, regen braking and engine braking, all of which puts more angry pixies into the battery, which in turn the computer then uses to help the engine.

icowden

Veteran
Wasn’t even considering an EV for my next car , more a another V6 RRS or a V8 FFRR . Big diesels or petrol engines are not going anywhere and they are not going to tax the hell out of the fuel either. As there will be a huge kick back on that. If it’s hybrid then I’ll probably go for that.

You might be surprised. A lot of people are becoming concerned that they would like their children, grandchildren etc to grow up on a better planet, not a worse one. Remember that the UK is stopping the sales of non-EVs

Step 1 will see the phase-out date for the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans brought forward to 2030.
Step 2 will see all new cars and vans be fully zero emission at the tailpipe from 2035.

You can't make a diesel or petrol ICE car zero emission so no-one is going to be wanting Hybrids or ICE cars pretty soon. Once you can only buy EVs uptake should increase, and there will be less interest in supplying diesel and petrol and more interest in generating taxes that way.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Fat lady hasn't sung for the ICE yet. Research being done on synthetic fuels, no plans as yet for motorcycles, those are still to be decided, and there will be a lot of vehicles still on the road…

They'd best speed up the research on synthetic fuels then seeing as EVs are out already.

Electric motor bikes are available too.

I think the roads will look a lot different in 2030.

CXRAndy

Guru

I think you might be surprised. The likes of Norway now are selling virtually all EVs. The ev market share for Norway is over 70% on the roads now. They are banning ICE 2025.

VW are going big now in the hope to flood the market with EVs.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
They'd best speed up the research on synthetic fuels then seeing as EVs are out already.

Electric motor bikes are available too.

I think the roads will look a lot different in 2030.
No doubt. BMW in particular seems to be making rather excellent progress on electric bikes. But there will still be a lot of petrol and diesel vehicles around, and electric isn't the answer for construction vehicles etc, hydrogen seems more likely for those...

No doubt. BMW in particular seems to be making rather excellent progress on electric bikes. But there will still be a lot of petrol and diesel vehicles around, and electric isn't the answer for construction vehicles etc, hydrogen seems more likely for those...
Yes JCB seem to be going down the hydrogen route.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...uring/jcb-unveils-hydrogen-fuelled-combustion

CXRAndy

Guru
Hydrogen has a future but not when its made from fossil fuels like SMR- stem methane reforming. That method makes 95% currently

Hydrogen electrolysis is the only way

CXRAndy

Guru
er…..I said everyone but Tesla….maybe re-read my post!

If Tesla can make an EV and all others are pretty much following Tesla's basic design. Then there is very little reason to have regular servicing when most of the systems are not required to.

Audi
VW
Porsche
Nissan-new model Ariya
Rivian
Ford
and more

All these now and will expand their OTA systems. Like Tesla there is no need to have your car taken to a dealer. The car will tell you and the dealer what goes wrong and parts are ordered in before you go to the repair centre. :okay:

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Hydrogen electrolysis is the only way
Only if it can be powered by sustainable energy, otherwise you’re just burning fuel to power a process that takes more energy input than is returned in the output.

Also, don’t forget that hydrogen is not emission-free - you get water from the ‘tailpipe’ and water is a greenhouse gas. Ok if you can condense it and eject as liquid.

icowden

Veteran
If Tesla can make an EV and all others are pretty much following Tesla's basic design. Then there is very little reason to have regular servicing when most of the systems are not required to. All these now and will expand their OTA systems. Like Tesla there is no need to have your car taken to a dealer. The car will tell you and the dealer what goes wrong and parts are ordered in before you go to the repair centre. :okay:

Whilst I agree, I do think that a lot of the rival EVs are just the ICE car refitted rather than being designed from scratch as an EV, which is one reason that Tesla tend to have better vehicles. It's like trying to retrofit a bakelite phone to be a smartphone. You could do it, but...

Tenkaykev

Guru
A
Whilst I agree, I do think that a lot of the rival EVs are just the ICE car refitted rather than being designed from scratch as an EV, which is one reason that Tesla tend to have better vehicles. It's like trying to retrofit a bakelite phone to be a smartphone. You could do it, but...
Watching the various “ teardowns” of EV’s on the Munro Live channel, it seems like the traditional car manufacturers are somewhat stuck in the older manufacturing mindsets with regards to component usage. Some cynics say it is deliberate, as Ford for example have a large dealer network in the USA, and streamlining and simplifying the construction would adversely affect the dealers future income.

Top Bottom