First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
That's why Hybrids are being pushed. Its the legacy car manufacturers that have huge plants making engines. They had to think of a way to keep selling engines whilst appearing to look green. Hybrids are a con trick. The vast majority dont charge the battery from electric, they use the engine to charge and its rapidly reduces mpg, increase pollution on the move. My XC90 T8 hybrid was a classic example. I never drove it more than 20miles a day and it was fine, but any further mpg would be 35mpg and into low 20s when recharging on the move. I sold it with only 15K miles after 4 years. .

Went full fat pure electric since then. Not looked back. Well over 100,000 miles from our EV cars in 3 and bit years. Our Nissan Leaf accumulating the majority around 70K miles

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Also, don’t forget that hydrogen is not emission-free - you get water from the ‘tailpipe’ and water is a greenhouse gas. Ok if you can condense it and eject as liquid.

This is a misunderstanding of the role of water vapour in the atmosphere.

Co2 is referred to as a "Long lived" or "non condensible" greenhouse gas. Water is condensible.

The water cycle continuously refreshes the water vapour in the atmosphere, it's in dynamic equilibrium through evaporation and rainfall. So adding more from cars makes no difference to the greenhouse effect.

To put it another way, there is an infinite quantity of water vapour available through evaporation from the oceans. Anything else is trivial.

The issues with hydrogen are more how it's made (currently mainly from methane, which generates CO2 as a direct byproduct) and it's overall efficiency, which is far poorer than battery round cycle efficiency, so if hydrogen is to be made from electrolysis using renewable electricity, you need 3x more renewable electricity than if you just charge car batteries directly.

gzoom

Über Member
Whilst I agree, I do think that a lot of the rival EVs are just the ICE car refitted rather than being designed from scratch as an EV, which is one reason that Tesla tend to have better vehicles. It's like trying to retrofit a bakelite phone to be a smartphone. You could do it, but...

Interestingly the Leaf is essentially a Nissan Pulsar, even in the engine bay is almost identical in 12V, coolant lines, aircon lay out!

But the Leaf was still an OK EV, just with a small battery. Servicing wise the Nissan dealer told me all they did was look at it for a bit with a torch than put a stamp in the book. They was NOTHING to really 'service' but Nissan insists on a stamp in the book to keep the warranty intact.

preview-928x522.jpg

engine-bay-g1.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I think you might be surprised. The likes of Norway now are selling virtually all EVs. The ev market share for Norway is over 70% on the roads now. They are banning ICE 2025.

VW are going big now in the hope to flood the market with EVs.
I’m sure things will move on here but until then I’ll carry on with my big dirty diesel. No EV out there which can tow my twin yet. However that’s not to say my wife’s car could change to an EV. Any EV cabriolets ? That’s not tiny ?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You might be surprised. A lot of people are becoming concerned that they would like their children, grandchildren etc to grow up on a better planet, not a worse one. Remember that the UK is stopping the sales of non-EVs

the process of making these EV cars is not very environmentally friendly either so let’s not make that all cuddly! I agree however that we need to do something , but more cars be it electric is not the answer!!

Interestingly the Leaf is essentially a Nissan Pulsar, even in the engine bay is almost identical in 12V, coolant lines, aircon lay out!

But the Leaf was still an OK EV, just with a small battery. Servicing wise the Nissan dealer told me all they did was look at it for a bit with a torch than put a stamp in the book. They was NOTHING to really 'service' but Nissan insists on a stamp in the book to keep the warranty intact.

View attachment 607895

View attachment 607896
My Leaf had its first service last week. At least they washed and vacuumed it so I got something out of it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You can't make a diesel or petrol ICE car zero emission so no-one is going to be wanting Hybrids or ICE cars pretty soon. Once you can only buy EVs uptake should increase, and there will be less interest in supplying diesel and petrol and more interest in generating taxes that way.

Why would they not want an ICE car or hybrid ? Depends on use and if there is nothing suitable EV wise to replace. ? Still 9yrs is along time to see what happens. I’m thinking I might be able to pick up a nice bargain diesel/hybrid that will do me a while !

gzoom

Über Member
the process of making these EV cars is not very environmentally friendly either so let’s not make that all cuddly! I agree however that we need to do something , but more cars be it electric is not the answer!!

And how much environmental benefit is to be gained if we STOPPED oil extraction, refining, and transport TODAY!!!

The petrol you are filling up your combustion car with doesn't just appear from no where. Where as electricity can literally be made out of thin air.

51368748000_2fed01814e_c_d.jpg

Yes you still have to build infrastructure, but you need to build and maintain infrastructure for oil extraction to the same if not greater extent. Why would you waste so much resource on something like this, when for the same resources you can build machines that supply energy without the need to burn hydrocarbons?

-1_custom-8358af5fba589f61d21864036b6ce4551c33fa4b.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Why would they not want an ICE car or hybrid ? Depends on use and if there is nothing suitable EV wise to replace. ? Still 9yrs is along time to see what happens. I’m thinking I might be able to pick up a nice bargain diesel/hybrid that will do me a while !

Its called the Osborn effect. People will hold off buying anything current for the next thing-EVs.

Just look at the take up in Norway when they announced that 2025 was their ban on ICE, the take has picked up in pace. The Uk is behind Norway's curve ,but still EV sales are gathering momentum. It only needs to have something like a significant jump in fuel costs, emission VED or an expansion of low emission zones in town and cities for ICE vehicles to become far less desirable.

It'll be interesting to see how many petrol stations stay in business. I guess a lot will change and have less pumps and more charging stations.

CXRAndy

Guru
It'll be interesting to see how many petrol stations stay in business. I guess a lot will change and have less pumps and more charging stations.

My daughter says a local Shell petrol station in London to her is becoming solely electric. I think she said it was completed last month. More and more of this will happen. Mini food malls will pop up, because you can get a small meal whilst waiting for charging. They will be carefully located competition will be fierce to capture EV drivers. Only the best service both electric and food will win

Tenkaykev

Guru
My daughter says a local Shell petrol station in London to her is becoming solely electric. I think she said it was completed last month. More and more of this will happen. Mini food malls will pop up, because you can get a small meal whilst waiting for charging. They will be carefully located competition will be fierce to capture EV drivers. Only the best service both electric and food will win
I’d not be surprised to see some sort of “ valet parking/ charging “ offered at some establishments. Edit : for a suitable charge of course 😉

Plans announced for a 36 bay station by me with a cafe and working area attached. With so many people working from home this might be useful for them to actually see their colleagues in person occasionally.

Top Bottom