First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you charge your phone if you don't have electricity ?
In the house, I don't think I'd even get a small hatchback through the front door 🤷‍♀️

icowden

Veteran
Why would they not want an ICE car or hybrid ?

Because there are not many people who are going to spend thousands of pounds on something that might quickly become expensive and difficult.

Look at the Diesel boom:

But what encouraged people to drive diesel cars? Well, in the early 2000s, the government changed road tax to a CO2-based system which favoured diesel cars as they generally emit less CO2 than petrol counterparts. In other words, the government threw its weight behind the sector. As such, British car makers heavily invested in the necessary manufacturing processes and flooded the market with suitable diesel cars.

It wasn’t all about reducing your car tax bill, though. Diesels were promoted as the environmentally-friendly choice because they use less fuel and more air to get the same performance as a petrol engine. This ‘lean-burn’ was a huge selling point.

Now EVs are being promoted as the environmentally-friendly choice because they use no fossil fuel at all and far better performance. The missing link is that Bojo and chums haven't done as much to encourage people to move to EVs as they did to Diesels. As take up increases, EVs will drop in price.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How do you charge your phone if you don't have electricity ?
In the house , here’s the thing I’ve just done a 250 mile round trip today averaged nearly 60mpg. If I was in an EV I’d have to think about recharging for the trip back ? No idea where I was going to do that I’d need to plan ahead I suppose. :whistle: No charge point at the crematorium nor at the Hotel afterwards . I suppose I would need to go searching for one and hope it was free to use. An unusual problem and not everyday but it’s real !!! Sort out the range to that of a normal ICE car and it’s done deal until then it’s gimmicky and next useless in real world IMO!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
In the house , here’s the thing I’ve just done a 250 mile round trip today averaged nearly 60mpg. If I was in an EV I’d have to think about recharging for the trip back ? No idea where I was going to do that I’d need to plan ahead I suppose. :whistle: No charge point at the crematorium nor at the Hotel afterwards . I suppose I would need to go searching for one and hope it was free to use. An unusual problem and not everyday but it’s real !!! Sort out the range to that of a normal ICE car and it’s done deal until then it’s gimmicky and next useless in real world IMO!

It's a good question.

I'm considering similar. Current EVs seem to be around 200-300 mile range, so I guess you'd want an extra 50 miles or so

Fast chargers run at around 50kw, and you get about 4 miles/kw, I've read. Which is 200 miles per hour.

So you'd need to plan for a stop of 15 minutes en route to feel secure. On what's probably, what, a 4 hour minimum round trip?

I'm just looking at this myself so may have something wrong here.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
That’s real world stuff , granted might only happen for the example I gave today or holidaying etc. Fix the range and then you have huge appeal until then forget it.

btw when I said the charger was free to use , I meant nobody parked in it charging !

If you're doing 250 miles you'll have gone past umpteen chargers but you just don't know.

I've not found any motorway services without charging - maybe they do exist but I've not been to all of them.

You don't need the range of an ICE car - you really don't. We've had ours for over a year now with a few 300 mile round trips that were no issue. And our range is only about 150 miles.

mikeIow

Guru
If Tesla can make an EV and all others are pretty much following Tesla's basic design. Then there is very little reason to have regular servicing when most of the systems are not required to.

Audi
VW
Porsche
Nissan-new model Ariya
Rivian
Ford
and more

All these now and will expand their OTA systems. Like Tesla there is no need to have your car taken to a dealer. The car will tell you and the dealer what goes wrong and parts are ordered in before you go to the repair centre. :okay:

*sigh*
I don’t disagree…but TODAY, afaik, ALL other EV manufacturers still charge for an annual service. Did I miss a memo?

Norway….gave MASSIVE tax incentives to EVs to make them the same price. Here in the UK, all I see is EV prices rising faster.

The Founder of Extinction a rebellion drives a diesel car.

& this weekend, we head to Edinburgh to repatriate student son’s gear….in our ICE. Only up Sat, back Mon, can’t be wasting hours waiting to charge up our EV! Plus the ICE vehicle can carry more kit….

I just don’t see the rapid change to EVs that some here might like. They simply do not suit all use cases today, & I doubt they will for some years to come.
The “EV only” dates will include hybrids, so we will still have fuel stations around for my lifetime.

On the bright side, a hot 80k today on the bike…that’s proper eco travelling 🤣

CXRAndy

Guru
I don’t disagree…but TODAY, afaik, ALL other EV manufacturers still charge for an annual service. Did I miss a memo

Not sustainable.

Tesla are bringing out a £25k model soon. Right in the mainstream of Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe models.

If in the market for an EV which brand would you buy, one that has rip off annual service or Tesla, come back in 3 or so years?

There is no necessity to annually service an EV if doing standard yearly mileage.

Tesla has completely exposed the legacy manufacturers to their pointless revenue streams.

I expect to see a few car manufacturers to wither in the next few years-saddled with huge engine and gearbox plants, unable to get out from all the costs of decommissioning

CXRAndy

Guru

Firstly 250miles if done on motorway is an average of around 50mph, so 5 hours of travelling. That's not safe, not to stop and take a small break. Lots of EV vehicles can do 200-300 miles.

Stopping at a charger for 5-15 mins would have easily topped up your distance requirements. Virtually all EV have navigation with all the available chargers. The car will route you and give options to stop an certain chargers.

Like petrol stations, folk dont hang around after charging and there are more charging places now than petrol stations.

Your journey would have cost ~£25 pumped out 30kg of CO2, NOX and billions of particulates in exhaust emissions.

An EV would have cost half that, zero pollution from non existent exhaust :okay:

mikeIow

Guru
Not sustainable.

Tesla are bringing out a £25k model soon. Right in the mainstream of Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe models.

If in the market for an EV which brand would you buy, one that has rip off annual service or Tesla, come back in 3 or so years?

There is no necessity to annually service an EV if doing standard yearly mileage.

Tesla has completely exposed the legacy manufacturers to their pointless revenue streams.

I expect to see a few car manufacturers to wither in the next few years-saddled with huge engine and gearbox plants, unable to get out from all the costs of decommissioning

You appear stuck in the “buy Tesla or die” mode.
I too eagerly await the other manufacturers taking the non-annual path to servicing….but it hasn’t happened yet.

Costs of decommissioning ICE plants?
How about the costs and techniques of decommissioning EV batteries?
Or has Tesla solved that too?

You appear to have a very black and white view on things.
The world, sadly, is rather more grey.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Firstly 250miles if done on motorway is an average of around 50mph, so 5 hours of travelling. That's not safe, not to stop and take a small break. Lots of EV vehicles can do 200-300 miles.

Stopping at a charger for 5-15 mins would have easily topped up your distance requirements. Virtually all EV have navigation with all the available chargers. The car will route you and give options to stop an certain chargers.

Like petrol stations, folk dont hang around after charging and there are more charging places now than petrol stations.

Your journey would have cost ~£25 pumped out 30kg of CO2, NOX and billions of particulates in exhaust emissions.

An EV would have cost half that, zero pollution from non existent exhaust :okay:

two drivers my wife and I to go to a funeral. Plenty safe and easy drive with not a worry about stopping to try and find a charging point. As for the zero pollution of EV sorry don’t buy that at all , there is always a hidden cost .

CXRAndy

Guru
You appear stuck in the “buy Tesla or die” mode.
I too eagerly await the other manufacturers taking the non-annual path to servicing….but it hasn’t happened yet.

Costs of decommissioning ICE plants?
How about the costs and techniques of decommissioning EV batteries?
Or has Tesla solved that too?

You appear to have a very black and white view on things.
The world, sadly, is rather more grey.

No I'm not, get any EV that meets your daily needs. We have Nissan and Tesla. The Nissan gets the most use locally, it does the job admirably.

The recycling of batteries will be addressed or EVs wil be finished in less than 10 years.

CXRAndy

Guru
two drivers my wife and I to go to a funeral. Plenty safe and easy drive with not a worry about stopping to try and find a charging point. As for the zero pollution of EV sorry don’t buy that at all , there is always a hidden cost .

We too went to a funeral, took two Teslas, 7 of us travelling. Did an 180 mile round trip, charged both cars night before to 220miles each. We too didn't need to stop or find a charger.:okay:

Top Bottom