First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Yep EVs have no soul:blush:

You are not going to convince anyone on that one.....

Here are some of the combustion cars I've owned, a DC2 Teg, described by EVO magazine as 'The greatest FWD' car ever, and compared to the like of F40 and McLaren F1.

https://www.evo.co.uk/group-tests/14231/honda-integra-honda-integra-type-r

6889763778_173d188a07_c_d.jpg

A 350Z, whilst not the last word in handling was good enough for Microsoft to use it as the headline car for Forza when the Xbox360 first appeared....

6889858932_5182ed5135_c_d.jpg

....and than the N54 335i, that I spend a stupid amount of £££ modifying to essentially make it better than the E90 M3 of the time. EVO don't give out 5 stars reviews that often!

Editorial - Evo 'Hartge Spirit' - E92 335i - April 2007 | Birds (birdsauto.com)

14941646521_2ab439400e_c_d.jpg

But you know what......I love our EV more than all those car put together......EVs have no 'soul', try again :laugh:

51221838598_14c1bb2a34_c_d.jpg

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I've discovered my workplace is further away than I thought. More like 27 miles than 25. With some work miles when I get there two trips in my new leaf are more difficult than I thought. I optimistically assumed three might be possible when I got it.

Anyway I did two shifts in my leaf and made it to the charger near my home with 11 miles / 6% battery to spare. Exactly 120 miles. A bit too close for comfort.

Here is the good part however. £8.01 for my charge. It costs me £9.50 per trip for diesel in my van, so £19 of diesel versus £8 of electric for the two trips.

You can drive on zero miles for about 15 miles. The car goes into snail mode

Ask work to fit an outside 7kW charger or if they are tight fisted a 13A out door socket. You will still get 6miles per hour- easy 40-50 miles in the battery per working day

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You are not going to convince anyone on that one.....

Here are some of the combustion cars I've owned, a DC2 Teg, described by EVO magazine as 'The greatest FWD' car ever, and compared to the like of F40 and McLaren F1.

https://www.evo.co.uk/group-tests/14231/honda-integra-honda-integra-type-r

View attachment 615790

A 350Z, whilst not the last word in handling was good enough for Microsoft to use it as the headline car for Forza when the Xbox360 first appeared....

View attachment 615791

....and than the N54 335i, that I spend a stupid amount of £££ modifying to essentially make it better than the E90 M3 of the time. EVO don't give out 5 stars reviews that often!

Editorial - Evo 'Hartge Spirit' - E92 335i - April 2007 | Birds (birdsauto.com)

View attachment 615792

But you know what......I love our EV more than all those car put together......EVs have no 'soul', try again :laugh:

View attachment 615793
Nice collection of cars , however you cannot beat the sound and note from an engine and exhaust ! Sorry EVs just remind me of Ernie the fastest milkman in the west :laugh: .

Nebulous

Guru
Imagine if you can get cheap off-peak charging sorted. It'd be £2 for a full tank.

I've actually just managed to squeeze it into the side of my house. I couldn't get the door open to get out however.

Unfortunately I'm on a two year contract at 19.8 p per unit. I'm not sure that I'd get off-peak very readily given the current state of the utility market.

Nebulous

Guru
You can drive on zero miles for about 15 miles. The car goes into snail mode

Ask work to fit an outside 7kW charger or if they are tight fisted a 13A out door socket. You will still get 6miles per hour- easy 40-50 miles in the battery per working day

That's good to know about the snail mode, so my 6% battery wasn't as close to the limit as I thought.

I'm doing 12 hour shifts, but we are on a temporary site and I'm working for the NHS, so the chance of them spending any money on it is as near zero as makes no difference.

CXRAndy

Guru
That's good to know about the snail mode, so my 6% battery wasn't as close to the limit as I thought.

I'm doing 12 hour shifts, but we are on a temporary site and I'm working for the NHS, so the chance of them spending any money on it is as near zero as makes no difference.
Just throw an extension lead out of window. I charged our tesla on a campsite with an extension lead. No one will worry if you just need a small top up

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As much as I like my hybrid, last week it set a new level of pleasure. It was convenient to fill it up, albeit there was still an indicated quarter of a tank left. Just before doing so I checked the car's computer as I couldn't remember the last time I filled it. 1,350 miles since the last fill.
An unusual combination of pleasant weather and journeys which suited its electrical abilities, but I am not complaining.

This looks lovely

https://morris-commercial.com/

It was featured in that Guy Martin programme, when they tried to grab the drag-strip record with the Beetle

Nebulous

Guru
Have you used Zap Map to look for chargers nearby ? Lidl, M&S, Tesco have them round here. Plus the odd petrol station.

Unfortunately I have to make infrequent short trips at short notice once I am there, so I need my vehicle onsite. Its a fairly small town with very few chargers.

A single return trip is no problem. I decided just to do the one yesterday. It was a more pleasant experience, with heating and heated wheel on in 4 C temperature. Once home I plugged into the public charger and walked a short distance home. I had expected to be able to do two return trips, but a combination of cold weather, darkness and me underestimating the distance combined to make two trips tighter than I expected.

Daninplymouth

As much as I like my hybrid, last week it set a new level of pleasure. It was convenient to fill it up, albeit there was still an indicated quarter of a tank left. Just before doing so I checked the car's computer as I couldn't remember the last time I filled it. 1,350 miles since the last fill.
An unusual combination of pleasant weather and journeys which suited its electrical abilities, but I am not complaining.
What hybrid are you using?
I keep looking at getting a Toyota self charging one but now looking at the costs may swap to full electric either the leaf or a Hyundai

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
That’s impressive mpg , I’m thinking it’s a good half way house. Mate at work was telling me about someone he met on a campsite , whom was towing a caravan. His hybrid FFRR not towing was getting a fairly impressive 60+mpg combined.

I need room for elderly parent and MIL plus dogs and my own family. The above example is a stretch but some people need larger vehicles not wee pokey city cars. ( don’t live in the city ) .
I think in the next year , I may need to give some serious consideration to what we do with the caravan and/or the tow vehicle .

If we start going abroad again regularly I think it will be chopped in .

Top Bottom