First electric car experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Mmm, maybe you’re right, but this is what my research indicates to me. We don’t live on our own on this world, and things are happening outside of, (and often not widely reported) our small domain.

Public transport is albeit slowly, changing again….. a recent end of a privatised rail company, and political considerations on emissions charging both announced recently in the UK, indicate this to me.
A long way to go, and a short time to get there, no doubt, but with fuel at £6.60 a gallon, and cars doing 50 miles for this cost is the beginning of unsustainable to me. I predict the cost of fuel to be at £10 a gallon before 2025…… that’s 3 years away… I believe that many younger people don’t own cars, and already use public transport (I’ve limited evidence, as I’m no longer young!)
Well if fuel goes to that price you better dig deep for everything else will go up in price ! Also be prepared to be taxed even more , taxes and death the only guarantees in life ! The money has to come from somewhere.
Btw the environmental cost of batteries is not lost on me ! EVs are not the panacea in my opinion either ! However we will be kicked and pushed into submission !

Anyway if fuel is up to £10 a gallon as you say this baby below might just come into my budget :becool::laugh:

@MrGrumpy if you’re able, have a watch of THIS.

Richard Symons has some good experience of Tesla and others, it this video will indicate how quickly things have moved…. And includes a Porsche Taycan EV.

Ive just seen Hertz (USA) have placed an order for 100000 Tesla cars for their rental fleet….. Things are moving pretty quickly!

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Well if fuel goes to that price you better dig deep for everything else will go up in price !

Why? Logistics companies will be investing in EV tech too. The Tesla convoy will become a reality - saving energy by having autonomous trucks driving like a train.
The Tesla Semi is coming - Tesla think that the fuel savings over two years will pay for the truck. A 500 mile range, 6-mph up a 5% gradient, 0-60 in 20 secs pulling 80k lb.

gzoom

Über Member
Anyway if fuel is up to £10 a gallon as you say this baby below might just come into my budget :becool::laugh:

View attachment 615156

Yes it'll look great on the driveway as a static display:smile:.

Looking at current petrol prices my last combustion car would be costing me £80 per tank of fuel, which would get me around 250 miles. Our EV even with increased electricity costs is currently costing me £10 to fill up.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

:laugh:

Nebulous

Guru
I've discovered my workplace is further away than I thought. More like 27 miles than 25. With some work miles when I get there two trips in my new leaf are more difficult than I thought. I optimistically assumed three might be possible when I got it.

Anyway I did two shifts in my leaf and made it to the charger near my home with 11 miles / 6% battery to spare. Exactly 120 miles. A bit too close for comfort.

Here is the good part however. £8.01 for my charge. It costs me £9.50 per trip for diesel in my van, so £19 of diesel versus £8 of electric for the two trips.

I've discovered my workplace is further away than I thought. More like 27 miles than 25. With some work miles when I get there two trips in my new leaf are more difficult than I thought. I optimistically assumed three might be possible when I got it.

Anyway I did two shifts in my leaf and made it to the charger near my home with 11 miles / 6% battery to spare. Exactly 120 miles. A bit too close for comfort.

Here is the good part however. £8.01 for my charge. It costs me £9.50 per trip for diesel in my van, so £19 of diesel versus £8 of electric for the two trips.
Imagine if you can get cheap off-peak charging sorted. It'd be £2 for a full tank.

Top Bottom