First Ever Crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J.Primus

If this is the case, is it wrong of me to extrapolate that if a pedestrian unreasonably steps out in front of me at close quarters, I should just aim straight for them with the aim of cushioning any potential impact, rather than trying to avoid them and risking an impact with something less soft?

If a pedestrian jumps in front of me I will do my utmost to brake hard and avoid them but I won't swerve into the line of traffic or into the curb as I don't see it as worth a serious injury to myself.

I will always slow down in advance if I think a ped is going to do it and try to keep a look out for them, but sometimes they will literally go from walking in a straight line down the path to stepping directly infront of you in half a second. Luckily this happens very rarely in my experience. Most jumpers make it quite obvious they are about to do it so you've plenty of time to slow down.

J.Primus

Get yourself checked out bud. Broke my collarbone once, didn't realise for 3 days.
This.
You'd be suprised how often people don't realise they've broken something.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If, as per his description, Andy was turning left into a side road, the pedestrian should take priority, if they had already started to cross. Personally I tend to slow right down before turning into a side road if there is a pedestrian anywhere near the junction.

J.Primus

If, as per his description, Andy was turning left into a side road, the pedestrian should take priority, if they had already started to cross. Personally I tend to slow right down before turning into a side road if there is a pedestrian anywhere near the junction.
I did miss the bit about tuning onto a minor road, you do have to assume everyone near the corner is going to step out. I tend to stick as near to the middle of the road as traffic will allow in case they do in those situations.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
Aye, I was carrying just the right speed for a lovely fast bend on a normal turning arc, but alas, I was carrying too much speed to adjust my turn mid corner. As soon as he stepped out, I was toast.

My ribs are now feeling much worse, I mustn't laugh, it knacks

J.Primus

Aye, I was carrying just the right speed for a lovely fast bend on a normal turning arc, but alas, I was carrying too much speed to adjust my turn mid corner. As soon as he stepped out, I was toast.

My ribs are now feeling much worse, I mustn't laugh, it knacks

That'll be the last of the adrenaline wearing off! If you're still in a lot of pain tomorrow I'd go and get yourself checked out if not tonight. Unfortunately if you've broken any ribs there is nothing you can do apart from wait for them to get better. You may be able to get some stronger painkillers on presciption though.

OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
I probably should have noticed him texting and expected him to walk out, which is why I was saying less aggression (i.e defensive riding) would have no doubt meant a less painful lesson for me to contemplate today....

Cyclopathic

Veteran
This.
Yeah but if you don't realise that you've broken something it probably doesn't matter. :becool:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
This.

+1. Came off the Brompton in early July while foolishly riding over metal decking on a car park. Slight touch of brake for traffic separation and bike went sharp right from underneath while I went hard left onto my hip and shoulder.

Staggered to my car and if it wasn't low slung and close parked to another I'd have got in and driven home. As it was summoned Mrs and Miss B from band practice ten miles away and they insisted on trip to casualty. After a dose of 30/500 co-codamol I could walk with difficulty and physical exam concluded probably just bruising but sent for x-ray to confirm.

X ray showed cracked collar bone and an intra capsular fracture of left neck of femur. Collar bone self limiting but femur was pinned under GA next day followed by six weeks on crutches.

Top Bottom