First ever TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Well my second TT but first 10 mile open . Clocked in at 26-47 and im still buzzing . I wanted to get under 30 minutes so cant believe my time and beat my time set by age standard by 17 seconds . I could really get into this so new bike on order and who knows I might even get a pointy hat . Grimace picture ! View attachment 47013

Good on you! The elements of local bike racing, personal achievement and friendship post-event. Lovely.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
IMAG0074_1.jpg

All prepped and zipps added ready for TT, tomorrow, thursday, saturday, tuesday and again thursday.

All 10 milers legs of steel.

montage

God Almighty
Well my second TT but first 10 mile open . Clocked in at 26-47 and im still buzzing . I wanted to get under 30 minutes so cant believe my time and beat my time set by age standard by 17 seconds . I could really get into this so new bike on order and who knows I might even get a pointy hat . Grimace picture ! View attachment 47013

I reckon you can knock on a minute just by having a look at your current position - you're slamming into a lot of wind being that upright! This fact makes your time even more impressive
Back and hamstring flexibility, drop the stem and get your arms used to taking the load should do it! - yeah it's more uncomfy, but who enters a TT to be comfy?

OP
OP
Jerry Atrik

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Yes I was shocked when I saw the photo , I was quite conscious about getting down quite low but clearly not enough . So plenty to work on . Ive got a new bike on the way and Ive no doubt a pointy hat and tt bars will follow and the dreaded turbo will be dusted off . The things you do for kicks !

oldroadman

Veteran
Definitely a need to flex those hips and get low, look for a flattish back. It will be uncomfortable at first, but persevere. I'm not sure of the pointy hat thing, the aerodynamics would seem to be right, however look at Sky kit for an example, they don't use them, their lids are quite rounded, and those guys analyse everything to the nth. degree in wind tunnels.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Definitely a need to flex those hips and get low, look for a flattish back. It will be uncomfortable at first, but persevere. I'm not sure of the pointy hat thing, the aerodynamics would seem to be right, however look at Sky kit for an example, they don't use them, their lids are quite rounded, and those guys analyse everything to the nth. degree in wind tunnels.

A few things :tongue:

Lower isn't always faster (although lower will help the person in question since they are bolt upright).
A flat back isn't always faster, a curved back can be quicker.

Getting low and flat is a bit of a red herring.

Now the interesting bit:

(I base this on speaking to several people who have been in the tunnel, having had my coach ask the tunnel staff specifically for me and owning several TT helmets, including the Kask Bambino that Sky use, plus lots of reading around)

The Kask Bambino suits riders who can not keep their heads still, cross windy circuit TT's and likely other high yaw scenarios. This is because if you move your head, there is no tail to be sticking up in the air etc and in cross winds, of course the area is smaller. However, for most people it will NOT be the outright fastest helmet, a pointy helmet will be quicker for most riders if they can keep their head still and in position, the choice of best pointy hat will depend on your position.

A quick look at the top domestic testers who we know have had tunnel time serves anecdotally to show this, they are free to wear whatever helmet they want so long as they stick their sponsors logo's on, they aren't choosing the Bambino they are choosing pointy hats, Bell Javelin and Giro Selector (both essentially the same helmet with the only difference being 2 vents and a none enclosed tail on the Javelin, Bell and Giro are sister companies and it is my belief that the Javelin is a crippled version of the Selector, cripples which can be undone to obtain a cheaper helmet with a better fitting mechanism with minimal aero penalty if any)! This is not to say the Kask is never the fastest choice, for some people with certain positions, the Kask does test very fast.

One thing to consider in the pro ranks is that helmet choice is highly individual and the fastest helmet will vary person to person. A pro team have 8-9 riders in a team, they usually have one TT helmet, which is provided by their sponsor (these days they might have two, a normal one and a more stubby one), that means that the sponsors helmet might be good for a couple of riders, but it is extremely unlikely to suit them all, yet all have to wear it. In this scenario the Kask Bambino used by Sky is probably a fairly robust helmet, even if it is not the fastest helmet since it will limit the damage in the case where the helmet is not the best choice as it will not create as much drag out of position (as in when the head is not held still or when the helmet simply doesn't suit the riders position) as a long tailed helmet would. Wiggo might well be faster in a long tailed helmet (he used a tailed UKSI helmet in the Olympics), but Froome probably gets a good return on the Kask. Another thing, pro TT's tend to be of a different format to UK TT's so there is that to consider too.

One dead certain is that the Kask looks very good, especially with the mirrored visor :smile:

Ultimately, my feeling is that the stubby helmet trend is a move toward helmets that are more versatile, not necessarily faster!

Oh, I don't think Sky have spent as much time in the tunnel as people assume, it wasn't until a few weeks before last years tour that Froome went in the tunnel for the 1st time! The GB pursuit squad however do go to the tunnel, so it is not unlikely they had Wiggo fairly dialled already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerry Atrik

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Great read Rob3rt . Ive managed to get hold of a Kask K31 for no other reason than that it was to good an offer to refuse . I think im going to end up as one of those guys with all the gear but no idea , but going to be fun learning .

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Great post. One small point (no pun intended!);,wouldn't it be better to spend time stopping the head movement in the first place, rather than buying a helmet specifically to rectify an existing problem! :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you have a helmet that fits your position well, it would indeed be advantageous to train yourself to keep your head still, but it is easier said than done when suffering really bad :tongue:

Top Bottom