First ever TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
I've got my first ever TT this evening. A club 10 miler, on a flattish course. What the hell is a 53 year old doing entering sprinty-type bike races for the first time in his life? Can I do it in under 30 minutes? Only one of those questions will get answered this evening.
Can I do it in under 30 minutes?

Well, maybe, but I missed out by 2 seconds this time. 30.02 for my first TT, which I completely and utterly mis-judged. I got it horribly wrong, running out of steam about 2 miles from home, crawling home with cramp and with my tail tucked between my legs. I had a cursory look at the time sheet, went home to put my bike on eBay and to take up lawn bowls. Told my wife my TT career was over. But luckily, my eyes are worse than my legs, because I read someone else's time as mine, and I had actually finished on the same day as I started.

So, next time.......( ;) )......GO OFF SLOWLY!!!!!! Keep something in the tank for the into-the-wind-uphill last 5 miles. And don't get cramp.

I still can't answer the first question. I have no idea what anybody gets out of time trialling. The first 3 minutes were great. After that, it was somewhere between unpleasant and nauseating, and wasn't even much fun once I stopped. The numbers don't make it any more fun, but they do taunt you to go back and set the record straight. I can knock 2 minutes off that time with a bit more sensible an approach...... (slippery slope alert!!! :smile: )

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Can I do it in under 30 minutes?

Well, maybe, but I missed out by 2 seconds this time. 30.02 for my first TT, which I completely and utterly mis-judged. I got it horribly wrong, running out of steam about 2 miles from home, crawling home with cramp and with my tail tucked between my legs. I had a cursory look at the time sheet, went home to put my bike on eBay and to take up lawn bowls. Told my wife my TT career was over. But luckily, my eyes are worse than my legs, because I read someone else's time as mine, and I had actually finished on the same day as I started.

So, next time.......( ;) )......GO OFF SLOWLY!!!!!! Keep something in the tank for the into-the-wind-uphill last 5 miles. And don't get cramp.

I still can't answer the first question. I have no idea what anybody gets out of time trialling. The first 3 minutes were great. After that, it was somewhere between unpleasant and nauseating, and wasn't even much fun once I stopped. The numbers don't make it any more fun, but they do taunt you to go back and set the record straight. I can knock 2 minutes off that time with a bit more sensible an approach...... (slippery slope alert!!! :smile: )
Get straight back out there and do it again mate

Its a good time for your first TT, next time you'll smash it

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you have a HR monitor, try not to see 90% MHR within the 1st minute! Works for me! I also roll off the line sat down and get onto the aero bars as soon as I am going fast enough for it to be stable. None of this out of the saddle sprinting away from the start line rubbish!

MikeG

Guru
If you have a HR monitor, try not to see 90% MHR within the 1st minute! Works for me! I also roll off the line sat down and get onto the aero bars as soon as I am going fast enough for it to be stable. None of this out of the saddle sprinting away from the start line rubbish!

Aero bars? Yeah, I've heard of them....... ;)

Never mind aero bars, or tri-bars: my TT was the first time I have ever ridden down on the drops for 10 miles in my entire life.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Regardless, the point I am making is set off almost casual like and get into the most efficient position as soon as is safe. In your case, set off seated in the drops and stay there (although you might actually be more aero on the hoods with forearms level). Pursuit style starts in TT's are pointless, any time gained in the 1st 100 yards will be elliminated once you start to haemorrhage time in the latter stages. As an ~30 min rider you could well end up dropping 2 mph or more toward the end if you blow.

A good start will save loads more than 2 seconds over the distance ;)

MikeG

Guru
Oh I completely agree. Point taken. I didn't lose my time there......I lost it by being at 28mph for 2 or 3 miles early on, when 25 might have been a bit more sensible.

speccy1

Well done on your efforts JA. What route did you take? I`m from your part of the world and did a 25 miler from Mary Tavy to Okehampton last month (hence my avatar photo). I know what you mean when you say pain!! You do feel good after though:bicycle:

OP
OP
Jerry Atrik

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Thanks guys . The route started at Chudleigh Knighton onto Bovey , hung a right at the roundabout at the start of the Haytor climb by the fire station . Then up the brutal road to Moretonhampstead where we turned right up a 20 % plus lane which took us to the base of the Doccombe climb . At the top a brilliant descent down to steps bridge then flat out along the Teign valley .

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Well done! Don't be discouraged, good effort for the first outing. ^_^ You have my respect. Take the positives from last night. The first 2-3 miles felt good (I wish they did for me!), so with a little more practice and training you'll be able to increase that to 8-9 miles, and then, for that final push to the line you'll be in the same boat as the rest of us - hanging on grimly, in a world of pain and wondering where the finishing line went! :blush:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Oh I completely agree. Point taken. I didn't lose my time there......I lost it by being at 28mph for 2 or 3 miles early on, when 25 might have been a bit more sensible.

Just read this. If your aim is to do ten miles in under 30 minutes, then not only is 28 miles an hour for 2 or 3 miles way way too fast, but so is 25mph! Between 21-22 on the flat, slightly more on the downhill sections and 18-19 over the bumps would see you home in well under 30 mins and you wouldn't be blowing out of yer ar*e! :wub:

OP
OP
Jerry Atrik

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Well my second TT but first 10 mile open . Clocked in at 26-47 and im still buzzing . I wanted to get under 30 minutes so cant believe my time and beat my time set by age standard by 17 seconds . I could really get into this so new bike on order and who knows I might even get a pointy hat . Grimace picture ! 10 mile TT.jpg

Spartak