First fall, wheel and tyre need replacing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Definitely this, I found the same with Vittoria Rubino tyres, great in dry weather, but a bit iffy in the wet however their Zaffiros on the other hand are great all round. The most comfortable I've been in wet weather was with the Bontrager AW series, a bit of a pig to fit, but definitely worth it.
Believe me rubinos are better than gators but I was impressed with zaffiro too

I have had wheels fail and split from brake surface wear but never from a spill. How do rims fail in this mode? Do they suddenly pretzel?

Johnno260

Veteran
Unfortunately I purchased the bike online, due to a distinct lack of any XL bikes in my area (both in store and available to order).

The bike was taken to a bike shop a couple weeks after purchase for a gear cable issue, I'm not sure they'll of checked the breaks over too.

I don't have much confidence in the LBS within my town, had some poor experiences there. I think I need to visit one in the next town over and start building a relationship with the owners, but I also enjoy doing the work on the bike myself, knowing it's done 'right', or as it should be, without rushing etc.

In my opinion it's good to have a decent relationship with at least one bike shop, jobs you don't want to do or aren't confident in doing can be dealt with easy.

I had an issue with my gears not shifting smoothly and on occasion it would throw the chain off the front crank, I popped in on Saturday spoke to him, I was told to sit down and give him 15mins and the bike was returned with the gears perfect, he didn't charge me, but he knows when I get paid my headset service is coming his way.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Believe me rubinos are better than gators but I was impressed with zaffiro too

This! I went from Gators to Rubinos and I will never use Gators again, pain to change tubes and not that grippy.

My experience is the exact opposite. Rubinos broke traction far too easily when climbing in the wet, never had an issue with Gators.

Johnno260

Veteran
My experience is the exact opposite. Rubinos broke traction far too easily when climbing in the wet, never had an issue with Gators.

It’s always the same, different people different views, and experiences.

On a wet very steep road I had some traction issues with the Rubino tyres, also they perished too fast.

The Gators I had almost zero faith while cornering.

Pirelli P-Zeros so far I love but I have little to no use in the wet to this point.

boydj

Legendary Member
Would there be any way to test this? You've made me fearful that the impact may of caused more issues than are visible on the surface.

If it did need replacing, does anyone know where I should start looking in terms of recommendations for a replacement wheel?

Pricey job after just 500km :sad:

Given your description of the fall, it's highly unlikely that there is any more than cosmetic damage to the wheel since the whole bike took the load of the fall. Bicycle wheels are very strong and can take a lot of punishment. A blow strong enough to cause structural damage would almost certainly knock the wheel significantly out of true. Any suggestion otherwise is just scaremongering.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd get another cyclist to have a little test ride of the OP's bike and give them an opinion of the effective operation of the brakes, or otherwise. There seem to me to be too many contradictions in the OP's experience.
As far as pressures are concerned, have a look at this authoritative BQ article - attached and use the graph to determine the pressure you need. 100psi seems high for the front tyre to me, and the beauty of tubeless is that one can run them at lower pressures without risking snakebites.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 42

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Tyre is knackered so replace that. Watch your pressures. The tyres should squish a bit under your weight. Too hard and they'll lose traction.
Your wheel is perfectly fine. A bit of wetndry to take the edges off them minor scuffs and it'll be sorted.
If a wheel dismantled itself after a scuff like those then there's something more serious at work. Don't worry about it.
I tend to get good braking from Clarkes pads but they can be noisy grindy buggers in the wet.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys, has been a great help.

I double checked my wheel last night and it looks like it's not completely true, but I'm not sure if it's that bad that it would need replacing?

Here's a video clip I made of the wheel spinning:

It's not obvious from looking straight down the bike, but a side angle of the breaking area definitely shows a discrepancy.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
What @Vantage said.

It's only a quick job to get that retrued. The bike shop round the corner from me does it for about a tenner, and looking at the deviation on that wheel I'd reckon a competent mechanic can do that whilst you browse.

I've ridden significant distances on much much worse.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I would echo the concensus; replace the tire, take the sharp burrs off the rim but ignore the gouges, they'll be fine. Buy a spoke key and watch some YouTube videos and have a go at truing the wheel, then take it to the LBS to fix it :okay::laugh:

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

It just needs truing. A spoke key will sort that no problem...or your lbs, although they'll charge a small fortune...£10 - £30 depending on shop.

What @Vantage said.

It's only a quick job to get that retrued. The bike shop round the corner from me does it for about a tenner, and looking at the deviation on that wheel I'd reckon a competent mechanic can do that whilst you browse.

I've ridden significant distances on much much worse.

I would echo the concensus; replace the tire, take the sharp burrs off the rim but ignore the gouges, they'll be fine. Buy a spoke key and watch some YouTube videos and have a go at truing the wheel, then take it to the LBS to fix it :okay::laugh:

Ha, in one sense I'm relieved I don't have to replace the wheel, but then I know getting the truing done in a LBS is going to cost me.

Is it worth at least trying/learn to do it myself? Or will it be too big of an ask to get it right?

Will it of been the fall that caused the wheel to become untrue, as I've only had the bike 2-3 months.

Top Bottom