First fall, wheel and tyre need replacing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I think it's worth trying to do it yourself - it's a really useful skill to have and it won't be the last time you get a buckled wheel :okay:

It's not actually that difficult if you're patient and only tweak the spokes a quarter turn at a time until you get to know what you're doing :okay:

si_c

Guru
Ha, in one sense I'm relieved I don't have to replace the wheel, but then I know getting the truing done in a LBS is going to cost me.
Is it worth at least trying/learn to do it myself? Or will it be too big of an ask to get it right?
Will it of been the fall that caused the wheel to become untrue, as I've only had the bike 2-3 months.

Probably was the fall, especially if you've landed on it, I've knocked a wheel out of true that way mountain biking. Fixing it is not difficult, see this video as a starting point, it will most likely just take a couple of turns with a spoke key. A key thing is not to do too much at once.

If you *really* screw up with it it won't cost you any more to get it fixed at the LBS - again I'd expect no more than £20, most likely half that - it won't take the mechanic more than 10 minutes I would have thought - including making a cup of tea.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

I think it's worth trying to do it yourself - it's a really useful skill to have and it won't be the last time you get a buckled wheel :okay:

It's not actually that difficult if you're patient and only tweak the spokes a quarter turn at a time until you get to know what you're doing :okay:

That's a very small fortune.

Considering that wheel truing is a skilled job and it's easy to make an utter balls of it if you don't know what you're doing.

Probably was the fall, especially if you've landed on it, I've knocked a wheel out of true that way mountain biking. Fixing it is not difficult, see this video as a starting point, it will most likely just take a couple of turns with a spoke key. A key thing is not to do too much at once.

If you *really* screw up with it it won't cost you any more to get it fixed at the LBS - again I'd expect no more than £20, most likely half that - it won't take the mechanic more than 10 minutes I would have thought - including making a cup of tea.

Great, I'll get a spoke key and start from that video.

I bought guage files and emery paper last night, the final choice I've got to make is the type of tyre to go with, wether I should stay with tubeless or go with tubed.

Before you unleash with the spoke tool, twang the spokes and listen/feel for tension. All the spokes on each side should be the same tension. With high grade components it is easier to get a wheel both true and evenly tensioned. Parts that are a bit wibbly to start with can send you chasing your tail. You have to compromise between a true rim and even spoke tension.
Spoke tension needs to be high enough so when you hit something there is residual tension because a lose spoke has no strength.
You also need to squeeze adjacent spokes together to unwind any built up twist.
The rule for using a spoke key is to adjust little by little. ie 1/4 turns, 1/8 turns, even 1/16 turns of the key.
Videos should address all of these points.

Alan O

Über Member
Looking at that video clip, the wheel really isn't very far out at all - and like si_c, I've ridden a fair bit on wheels far bendier than that.

As for truing it up yourself, the first time I tried it I screwed up badly - not only didn't I get it left-to-right true, but I turned it a bit oval too. But I was only about 13 at the time, and I had all the subtlety and delicacy you'd expect from a boy just entering his teens (and, obviously, I had no internet video lessons to help me). I'm 60 now and a lot more patient, and I can easily keep my wheels just about perfectly true.

It does take a bit of skill for sure, but when a wheel is only a tiny bit out, I reckon your chance of getting a decent result is good. I suggest you just keep a constant check on how it's going, and if you find you're not making it better or even getting it a bit further out, then stop at that point - your LBS should then easily be able to take it over at no greater cost.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's a very small fortune.

Considering that wheel truing is a skilled job and it's easy to make an utter balls of it if you don't know what you're doing.

You make a fair point about it being a skilled job but it's actually quite hard to do any significant damage in wheelbuilding.
I taught myself and I'm no rocket scientist.

I was in Spa Cycles picking up my frame and wheels that they built (they do it better than me) and a customer mentioned about wheelbuilding being a black art. I can think of nicer ways to put it, but Leo's (the builder) answer was that people who see it that way are 'ignorant' and that no one gets better at it, they just get faster.
Not sure about the last bit personally.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Is it worth at least trying/learn to do it myself? Or will it be too big of an ask to get it right?

It's definitely worth learning the basics. You can never know too much about your bike.
It can take a while from learning to true a wheel to a complete build but in doing so you'll learn how the thing works and how to repair if only temporarily till you get home.
This applies to everything on the bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'll get a spoke key
This one is best. One supplier link below.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/spokey-red-for-euro-us-spokes/?geoc=US
12838.jpg

Top Bottom