First Imperial Century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IanT

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Well done ,lots of people would have bailed out with the chainring problem.:thumbsup:

Really, Banjo - I thought about it!!!

But, at the end of the day, I knew I'd be robbing myself of an opportunity - so I pressed on.

If I'm honest, that actually made the achievement feel all the better.

Cyclist33

Nice work!

My problem on Saturday was the opposite - I couldn't get the granny gear at all. Could've done with it at some points but all in all, I guess it made me stronger!

Stu

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Well done on the milestone , I'm just curious, what sort of calories did you take in to cover the century?

Breakfast was a bowl of porridge, made with water (not milk - personal preference) and with a light drizzle of honey. Also had a couple of scrambled eggs. This is my standard training brekkey - my belief is that it's a fair balance of carb and protein.

During the ride, I took two decent sized slices of malt loaf and one Jordans cereal bar. All washed down (over the 100 miles) with two litres of water with electrolyte.

As soon as I got in, I got a CNP Pro Recover recovery drink down my neck.

Oddly - despite a decent meal last night - I'm still very hungry today!!!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Breakfast was a bowl of porridge, made with water (not milk - personal preference) and with a light drizzle of honey. Also had a couple of scrambled eggs. This is my standard training brekkey - my belief is that it's a fair balance of carb and protein.

During the ride, I took two decent sized slices of malt loaf and one Jordans cereal bar. All washed down (over the 100 miles) with two litres of water with electrolyte.

As soon as I got in, I got a CNP Pro Recover recovery drink down my neck.

Oddly - despite a decent meal last night - I'm still very hungry today!!!

Nothing unusual there. I find that aftewr a longer/harder than usual bike ride my weight goes up as I take on lots of extra calories on the ride yet still feel hungry next day. I think the body has a mind of its own which says "best load on more calories in case the dopey bu££er does it again".

2 Bits of malt loaf and an energy bar is not much for a century. I would eat more than double that at least.

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Nothing unusual there. I find that aftewr a longer/harder than usual bike ride my weight goes up as I take on lots of extra calories on the ride yet still feel hungry next day. I think the body has a mind of its own which says "best load on more calories in case the dopey bu££er does it again".

2 Bits of malt loaf and an energy bar is not much for a century. I would eat more than double that at least.

That's fair comment. I think that because I went out at a steady pace (with a view that this was more about miles than speed) and had fuelled up well the night before with a decent helping of pasta, I was probably just about OK.

Having said that, I'll probably take more with me the next time I do the century.

Cyclist33

I agree - I had pasta the night before and a big bowl of porage with honey in the morning, but still got through 7 nutri-grains, a chip barm, a battered sausage, an energy gel and a pro-plus on the ride!

And I'm still hungry, despite going pretty sedately.

Stu

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

I agree - I had pasta the night before and a big bowl of porage with honey in the morning, but still got through 7 nutri-grains, a chip barm, a battered sausage, an energy gel and a pro-plus on the ride!

And I'm still hungry, despite going pretty sedately.

Stu

With nutrition, there are a lot of variables so, in my opinion, you need to be comparing like for like. That takes into account not just given factors - such as rider weight, bike weight, elevation climbed, exercise taken in the preceeding period etc. But also more complex factors - such as meterological factors - headwind etc. It's probably not possible to compare my ride with yours - given that the bulk of my ride may have been in better conditions and across flatter terrain (or vice-versa).

Personally, I try to steer away from fast-energy foods (such as chips, battered sausages and energy gels) and try to steer myself toward lower fat foods that provide more sustained energy release. Equally, whilst I may take a coffee before a ride, I don't think I would want to use pro-plus as it is, in my opinion, a very short-term benefit with a much longer-term payback.

I guess that, at the end of the day, no two rides are the same and no two riders are the same. Against that backdrop, it's hard to find a benchmark. Having said that, I think it is possible to understand the basic elements that you are looking for from the food that you take on board, plan to take on foods that provide longer-term benefit and listen to your body.

A triathlete that I know swears by the rule - eat whe you are hungry; drink when you are thirsty. Given his level of fitness and performance (compared to mine) he's doing something right so that can't be a bad rule of thumb.

Cyclist33

True, but then a lot of people say eat before you're hungry and drink before you're thirsty!

In my defence, your Honour, I took the pro-plus with ten miles to go because I was totally beat and had just had to conk out on a grass verge with a chocolate bar.

As for the greays chip butty etc - I was thinking not of nutrition but I just wanted sommat good and tasty!

Stu

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

True, but then a lot of people say eat before you're hungry and drink before you're thirsty!

In my defence, your Honour, I took the pro-plus with ten miles to go because I was totally beat and had just had to conk out on a grass verge with a chocolate bar.

As for the greays chip butty etc - I was thinking not of nutrition but I just wanted sommat good and tasty!

Stu

^_^Fair play. Sometimes you've just got to do whatever gets you through it.

Well done IanT, it is something that needs to be done and once it's done noone can take it away from you. It has such a good ring to it and it's not something just anyone can do.

The last ton I did last year was also a spur of the moment thing. I had intended on doing one of my regular routes of about 60mile, but when I got to my turn point I phoned my wife and told her I was going to be late and kept on going. Trouble was I had no food with me, so I stopped at a small rural shop and bought some fruit and cereal bars and extra water as I only had one bottle as well.

Well done, a century seems like a dream to me at the minute, last four Saturday's I've done 50+ but the thought of doubling that seems impossible

I think you would be able to do it no bother. Just keep heading away from home 50mile. You will have no option but to cycle home :thumbsup: . It's more of a mental barrier.

Cyclist33

Well done IanT, it is something that needs to be done and once it's done noone can take it away from you. It has such a good ring to it and it's not something just anyone can do.

The last ton I did last year was also a spur of the moment thing. I had intended on doing one of my regular routes of about 60mile, but when I got to my turn point I phoned my wife and told her I was going to be late and kept on going. Trouble was I had no food with me, so I stopped at a small rural shop and bought some fruit and cereal bars and extra water as I only had one bottle as well.

I think you would be able to do it no bother. Just keep heading away from home 50mile. You will have no option but to cycle home :thumbsup: . It's more of a mental barrier.
+1

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well done! Isn't it great to get home with the clock reading more than 100 miles!!!

As to food, I can't be bothered with scientific. Big bowl of pasta before/night before and then either a full english or fish and chips half way through. Packet of fig rolls, some water and I'm good for 100. For longer distances, repeat as required.

Top Bottom