First Imperial Century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big boy

Strewth - I've only gone and done it! Ahead of plan, too!!!

A Mate suggested that a few of us punch out a little 85 miler this morning. I was really up for it. We had a great ride and, on the return, I just knew I still had 20 or so miles in the legs - so I went for it.

Started in brilliant sunshine and bright blue skies. Finished in the mother of all thunder storms. Front mech failed about 40 miles in - meaning I had to complete the final 60 miles on the big ring. But, all those things only added to the sense of acheievement.

This has been a goal since the day I got my first road bike and I am over the moon to have acheived it.

If you saw a cyclist in a Trek Leopard kit, soaked to the skin, waiting to cross the A127 near Leigh on Sea whilst grinning like a madman around 2 pm today - it was probably me!!!^_^
well done :-)

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Well done! Isn't it great to get home with the clock reading more than 100 miles!!!

As to food, I can't be bothered with scientific. Big bowl of pasta before/night before and then either a full english or fish and chips half way through. Packet of fig rolls, some water and I'm good for 100. For longer distances, repeat as required.

That feeling of seeing the 100 pop up on the Garmin is fantastic. For me, it happened in torrential rain on a cycle path alongside the A127 with lorries splashing me, thunder - lightining - hail - really, you could not have scripted it.

Personally, I may have just as well won an Olympic gold for how it made me feel. I keep feeling the need to tell people - but only other cyclists seem to understand.

Strangely, it seems that for the non-cyclists I speak with, they seem to identify better with sub-100 mileages; if you tell them you rode 80 miles, they say "wow!" whereas if you tell them that you have ridden 100 miles, they just look at you - Homer Simpson stylee. I wonder if they either don't beleive you or simply dont identify with the fact that people do actually get on their bike and, through sweat and determination, propel themselves around 100 miles.

Anyway, who cares, I did it and (for me at least) that's all that matters.:smile:

Did I mention that I rode a century on Sunday!!!! LoL. :biggrin:

rb58

Enigma
Top job! I can well remember my first century. And like Martin says above, I think you can be over technical in your nutrition. I always find a 'real' meal best and makes for a pleasant half way stop.

Top Bottom