first proper Bike and Chain cleaning/quick bike loading question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrfacetious

Veteran
Hey all, just about to clean the bike PROPERLY (to me that's with the wheels off, lol) for the first time, as it was overdue anyway and on my last ride it got pretty mucky. Will soapy water do? I really don't want to spend £1000000000 on a full bike cleaning kit... I've got some silicone spray which I've heard is good for taking off tough muck if you wash it off after. Also for the chain I remember coming across somebody's own personal method on here before which became quite reputable by the seems of it... I thought it got stickied but I couldn't find it. All I remember is a lot of repetition "do this, wipe the chain thoroughly, do this again, wipe thoroughly again" etc. Anybody want to give me some pointers :wacko:? Thanks
---*---
Also quick question on loading my bike - It's a "audax/light touring bike" apparently - when I enquired into it the seller told me it'd be good for a credit card tour and he was selling it to get a bike capable of taking his toddler and a baby seat. Well I just packed a sleeping bag, 3 man tent, mess tins and a pillow into my panniers and the whole lot only weighs 10lbs... Think I'm safe? I weigh 160. I am looking forward to getting some little camping trips done this summer, so i hope so :becool: Cheers

I just use a cheap car cleaning fluid mixed with warm water to do the paintwork and a dry rag for the moving parts including the rims.

Chain cleaning- the Mickle Method -basically get a dry rag and run the chain through it to get the muck off and then re-lube.

OP
OP
mrfacetious

mrfacetious

Veteran
The Mickle Method! that's the one, thanks, I'll look it up. Just buy some chain lube out of halfrauds or something I'm assuming? Thanks for the reply, I'll get right on it.

gbb

Legendary Member
For normal cleaning, i use a spray bottle, the kind you'd get kitchen/bathroom cleaners in and some paper towel. Fast, cheap and efficient....and you dont soak everything.
I spray mine after with silicone spray and a quick buff with some paper towel again, just watch the rims and brakes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hello Mr F Markham is nicely placed for a bit of touring I live in Barry and hope to do something similar when weather warms up.

. I have heard that you shouldnt use Washing up liquids on a bike. Also try not to get water into wheelbearings.Lean the wheel so the water drips off the side your washing.

Theres a campsite I would like to visit near Aberdulais in the Neath Valley .I cycled from Treorchy over the Bwlch Mountain road across to Neath up the valley to Hirwaun then over Rhigos Mountain back to Treorchy. Some stunning scenery and passes close to the campsite so may turn it into a 2 day tour this year starting /finishing at home instead of driving to Treorchyt first.

Link below to Lone Wolf camp site.

http://www.campingandcampsites.co.uk/campsite_detail.php?siteID=5091

Good Luck

OP
OP
mrfacetious

mrfacetious

Veteran
Banjo said:
Theres a campsite I would like to visit near Aberdulais in the Neath Valley .I cycled from Treorchy over the Bwlch Mountain road across to Neath up the valley to Hirwaun then over Rhigos Mountain back to Treorchy. Some stunning scenery and passes close to the campsite so may turn it into a 2 day tour this year starting /finishing at home instead of driving to Treorchyt first.

Link below to Lone Wolf camp site.

http://www.campingandcampsites.co.uk/campsite_detail.php?siteID=5091

Good Luck
Thanks for this! also thanks to chillyuk for the silicone advice.

My dad's just returned from Hellfords with a can of GT-85 which he tells me they use for chains and everything in shop... it doens't say chain on the can, so I don't trust it on my chain (The only Dura-Ace part on my bike bar the BB). Anybody use this or know if it's safe to use?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think he's saying Halfords staff use GT85 for cleaning. And yes, you can use it to clean your chain and cassettes, but you can't use it as the sole lubricant on these.

Also, GT85 is a bit of a luxury for cleaning. Mild washing up liquid or car shampoo - like Carplan or Tesco's own brand is also good.

kewb

my kit is two rags one clean one oily ,
a toothbrush , and oil .

floss the cassete , rub the chain , and sweep the grooves .

joemaxi

I'm a really sad git! car detailing is a hobby of mine and I've spent hundreds of pounds on wax, cleaning products etc.

I was waxing the car yeasterday with Svisswax Best of Show(£135 a tub) and thought "Hmmm....the black paint on my shiny new sirrus elite would look quite nice with that on" so I waxed the bike!!!!

It looks fantastically shiny in the sun!

I can also reccomend autosmart g101 as a superp APC(All Purpose Cleaner). It's non acidic and really shifts muck and grease. I'm a member of the Detailing World website and if any of you guys are looking for tips on cleaning products, it's well worth a visit!

I don t want to take the bike out now in case it gets dirty

kewb

rags,
floss the cassette lube the chain wipe off repeat till no or little residue on rag the lube chain .
prior to that a hose down or bucket of clean water and a sponge as needed ,
i dont use detergents as they tend to strip lube were i cant notice and dont really help shift muck n grime more than plain water imho .

Top Bottom