first race tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hold your line, speak/shout to others, don't be a dick.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
None apart from the fact that you can take a bunch of riders out.
And they may take you out by return.

As it's a crit, if dropped, try to stay within a lap if you can so you don't get withdrawn before the final laps, but if the head of the race is catching you, don't be a Dick and try to race them to avoid being lapped. Just hold the non racing line and let it go.

Just wanting some extra tips for my first race apart from don't go near the back or attack from the start.

If your going to comment saying i shouldn't race because of my speed please don't comment
Treat it as a fast club type ride, learn whatever you can from the experience, take what you've learned into your next race, try not to crash.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
First race tips from me would be:
Ride smart, use brain cells as well as horse power.
Ride hard, finish the race absolutely spent, if you have energy left you didn't ride hard enough.
Hold your line, don't chop people up with evasive moves, talk to others around you.
Remember as many aspects of the race as you can, don't let it go by in a blur. Learn from these situations in your next race.

Stay safe and good luck.

boydj

Legendary Member
Try to stay in the middle of the group. If you are at the back, accelerating out of corners to get back on the wheels takes a lot out of you. If there are hills, try to get as far up the group as possible before the climb so you'll not drop off the back if you are a bit slower on the climb.

In a crit corners tend to be the worst part . Expect to go into the red accelerating out of corners , especially if its a flat race . The further back you are the worse it is . Try and hold your line going into the corner , through and out of it . Look for experienced , safer riders and try to follow their wheel and positioning . Dont worry if you do get dropped but as others have said do carry on and finish . If the group does lap you by all means jump on the back of the last rider but dont be tempted to try and push in anywhere as they come past , even if there is a gap you think you can make . Let them past and then stay at the back of them . Its easy to say try and enjoy it but when you are blowing out your arse trying to hang on , enjoyment is the last thing on your mind :smile: . Also be aware as you get near your limits your concentration may start to drift . Good luck and let us know how you get on .

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Theres 3 corners and i think it will come down to the third corner where everyone will fight for postion. But i am going to go down early and get a few laps under me so i can get a feel of it

Top Bottom