first race tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

What the others have said, but I would say in a Cat 4 race, it is highly unlikely that anyone who tries to make a break will stay away, so really don't be tempted to chase. For your first race, just aim to stay with the bunch and see what happens.

The pace will probably be pretty constant for all but the last three laps, when it will pick up quite noticeably. And if you are in the mix at the end, don't be anywhere worse than about fifth wheel. And don't be the first to go for the sprint because you likely won't have the legs to make it all the way to the line in first. Wait for as long as you can, and when someone else goes that's your moment.

Good luck, enjoy it, I still remember my first race and it's a special moment once you are called to order on the start. You're no longer just a cyclist, you're a racer.

The only predictable thing about most crits is their unpredictability.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Not ridden cyclocross?
No never. Thought about it but never done it yet.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Not even a 35 minute one, must admit I ever crit I did was so fast that I could not even come up off the drops. I would expect to see a 35minute one run off at about 27 or 28 mph, with certainly faster bits in there somewhere.
The 4th crits I've been in this season have been between 25-27, there's always been plenty of time to take on a sip of fluid.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The 4th crits I've been in this season have been between 25-27, there's always been plenty of time to take on a sip of fluid.
I can't believe anyone needs a drink in race lasting thirty minutes. How do Madison riders cope during a one hour chase? Track bikes don't have bottle cages.

This whole fluids nonsense has gone way over the top.

huwsparky

Über Member
Not even a 35 minute one, must admit I ever crit I did was so fast that I could not even come up off the drops. I would expect to see a 35minute one run off at about 27 or 28 mph, with certainly faster bits in there somewhere.
Not that I don't believe you but what course did you see a 4th cat crit at 28mph?

S-Express

I think 28mph might be a little ambitious for 4th cat only. The last 2/3 crit I rode (a few years ago now) averaged around 26mph as I recall. A lot will depend on conditions, wind direction, temp, etc.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think 28mph might be a little ambitious for 4th cat only. The last 2/3 crit I rode (a few years ago now) averaged around 26mph as I recall. A lot will depend on conditions, wind direction, temp, etc.
I doubt if a 4th cat event will get to 25mph. The winner might if he's a rising star and well off the front, but most of the field will either be novices or occasional racers.

S-Express

I suppose if a whole club full of experienced testers who've never road raced rock up with 4th cat licences, then that might push the average up a little - assuming they don't all crash in the corners ;)

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Well its all over absolutely enjoyed it i'll be defintly back next season. Got to the start line with a few minutes to spare amd saw one of the leaders of the club runs who was also the commaisare. I lasted in the bunch for a lap and a half then got dropped but managed to stay with another rider but they were slowing down for some reason (not sure why) so i put some more power down to try and catch back up but eventually i got lapped by the bunch so i let them passed and hopped on the back for the remainder of the race.

Overall postion is either 8th or 9th (will update when offical results come out)

Defiantly will be back and i know what weakness i need to build on but my main objective was to complete the race and not give a monkeys to what position i was.

S-Express

There was 10 but the bunch was a bit quicker than i was

Ten is a very small field - I would guess that if the race had been bigger (ie 20-30+) then you would have had a far easier time, probably without being dropped. Be happy with that though...

Top Bottom