first race tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Time Trial. Its the only honest form. Too many wheel suckers out there.

In a race of 60 15 or so will actually do all the racing. The rest will suck till the last few Km's. Strongest rider will not win but then I'm biased as I have had a a crap season. Over to you

Nah, hill climb, gets rid of all the guys carrying a few extra pounds as well.:whistle:

CycleD

Regular
Like any race I'd have a carb meal at least an hour or two before the ride... take an isotonic drink or small boiled sweets to keep up suger levels and follow advice from others in the race

screenman

Legendary Member
Like any race I'd have a carb meal at least an hour or two before the ride... take an isotonic drink or small boiled sweets to keep up suger levels and follow advice from others in the race

Sweets when racing, what type of racing do you do?

huwsparky

Über Member
Next saturday then thats it for the season but i should be able to draft and stay in the bunch due to more racers
Do it, gain the experience but personally I wouldn't count being able to stay with the bunch purley based on another 10 riders turning up. The last crit i did was down to 9 riders after 3 laps and 46 riders started.

screenman

Legendary Member
God knows... Just what someone told me about why they keep a few in their pouch.

I just got this picture of you loaded with sweets, cakes, sandwiches and a flask of coffee for a 25. You are in 45 years of cycling the first person I have ever known who would take boiled sweets into a race, these people who told you, you sure they are not trying to slow you down.^_^

I can understand but have never used a jelly baby, liquorice allsorts or the suchlike.

Last edited:

S-Express

No sweets (or carbs) needed for a 35 minute crit. A circuit which is heavy on corners or hairpins will always test riders at the back, or out of position. Larger field on a circuit like Middlesborough with sweeping corners and a big field will be a lot easier to hang onto.

In a race of 60 15 or so will actually do all the racing. The rest will suck till the last few Km's.

That's called tactics. You don't get a prize for being the strongest rider, but you do get a prize for being first.

outlash

also available in orange
Time Trial. Its the only honest form. Too many wheel suckers out there.

In a race of 60 15 or so will actually do all the racing. The rest will suck till the last few Km's. Strongest rider will not win but then I'm biased as I have had a a crap season. Over to you

If we're in the realm of talking gibberish, then cyclocross is surely the purest form. As long as you can get over the obstacles, it's all about strength and skill.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
If we're in the realm of talking gibberish, then cyclocross is surely the purest form. As long as you can get over the obstacles, it's all about strength and skill.
Nah - turbo trainer racing has to be the purest form.
No variables between contestants.:whistle:

Top Bottom