First record you ever bought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
I think it was ride a White swan....

T.REX---RIDE-A-WHITE-SWAN-2014-7-1.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
1964 with my first pay cheque working in the summer term. Bought my first record player and some 45s and 33s. Can't remember what they were though.

The first time Iremember actually walking into a shop & buying, was in The Record Bar, in Wakefield, now long--gone
I do have a picture that I found, somewhere online (below Wigfalls)
Record Bar.jpg

I believe the vinyl in question was possibly Dave Edmunds 'Twangin' LP
It was the LP with 'Singing The Blues', (Fogartys) 'Almost Saturday Night', 'The Race Is On' (wth The Stray Cats,, who DE produced), & a mega version of 'Baby Let's Play House'

Still got it too
(top-left)
1656122_10202534776482937_531543621_n.jpg

EDIT @ 17:01
Just found this review of the song
https://www.allmusic.com/song/almost-saturday-night-mt0033397180
Bold is mine
"Edmunds' keening enthusiasm (and killer guitar solo) gave the song as good as it deserved"

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Technically it was a present rather than bought myself, but was what I wanted, so almost the same thing. In the late '60s as a little boy I was fascinated by the Apollo landings and wanted the signature tune, which I understood to be The Planets, especially given this album cover.

Of course, the signature tune wasn't The Planets at all but Richard Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra which I didn't get till decades later. Planets is still pretty damned good, and was perhaps the begining of my exploration of (so-called) Classical music

Attachments

• planets.jpeg
    planets.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Made in Japan - Deep Purple was the first record I bought with my own money.

However, the first record I ever owned was Atlantic Crossing - Rod Stewart, bought for me by my Grandparents along with the record player. :blush:

We are sailing, WE ARE SAILING, la la la, cross the sea... etc. etc. :sad:

Graham

Top Bottom