First record you ever bought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I bought the the double-LP set when it was first released, waaayy back when...

R-382434-1400681501-7656.jpeg.jpg

ozboz

Guru
Now we are talking proper music.

T Rex - after Marc Bolan dropped the Tyrannosaurus and picked up his electric guitar - was my first favourite band.

I'm fairly sure the first LP I bought was Electric Warrior.

Only five tracks a side - according to wiki.

I thought there were a few more than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Warrior

For years I drove and peddled past Marc Bolan’s memorial on one of my routes to Putney , it wasn’t until I went on a LCC Richmond ride last year that it was pointed out to me by a bloke I was riding alongside with, it just near a hump back railway bridge sort of Barnes way , I took some pics , but they got lost in icloud world , plenty of pics and tributes etc ,

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For years I drove and peddled past Marc Bolan’s memorial on one of my routes to Putney , it wasn’t until I went on a LCC Richmond ride last year that it was pointed out to me by a bloke I was riding alongside with, it just near a hump back railway bridge sort of Barnes way , I took some pics , but they host lost in icloud world , plenty of pics and tributes etc ,

Yes, clouted a tree in a Mini which also contained his girlfriend Gloria Jones, if I recall correctly.

I was reminded of Bolan's death by the recent Ant story.

Of course, Ant is still with us but there are parallels with a star in a Mini (now MINI) crashing in well-heeled south west London.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5221964, member: 43827"]Will anybody admit that their first record was by Gary Glitter?[/QUOTE]

Not my first, but I was very taken with - and bought - Rock and Roll Parts One and Two.

classic33

Leg End Member
First single I ever bought was when I was about 8 and there was a jumble sale on at the church hall across the road. For some reason I spent my 6d pocket money on this.

View attachment 405404

It came out before I was born but I've been a lifelong fan of westerns and liked the title of this. Still love to hear it on the rare occasion it crops up.
Same company(UK) produced both versions, but pressed more of the American singer and promoted it more as well.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Excellent choices there, although they were released 10 years apart.
In that case (having checked the release dates) it would have been Paranoid, sometime in the late 70s as a second hand item. I was never a great buyer of records or tapes in my youth due to lack of cash as most of my paper round money went on sweets!

Edited to add: Just been up in the loft to check and my copy of Paranoid has Snow Blind as the B side which (according to Wikipedia) is the 1980 re-issue and Ace of Spades was also issued in 1980 so I still don't know which was my first...

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5221964, member: 43827"]Will anybody admit that their first record was by Gary Glitter?[/QUOTE]

I don't think I ever bought any of his records but I did see him several times at the SECC in Glasgow where he was a Christams regular and his concerts were bloody marvellous and always packed.
Little did anyone know....

Top Bottom